ATX Community

Cannot delete un-needed state

Catherine

Client moved in 2011 so we needed a part-year return for the old state (Mass). Don't need it for 2012; no Mass-source income, no residency. Every time I try to delete the main form, it first warns me that it is part of a set (form, letter, cover); do I still want to delete? Answering "yes" crashes program.

Anyone have a clue how I can delete this not-needed state form set?

Catherine

I have found that attempting to delete the main state form first causes the crash....maybe since doing so not only deletes the state form but also the state letter at the same time. I have had better luck (occasionally) by first deleting the un needed state letter and then deleting the un needed state form.

another work-around that we shoud not need to do.

someday, maybe we'll have software that actually works.

• Like 1

I would try adding the new state first, save, close, reopen then try to delete the old state.

If that doesn't work then I would go back to 2011, make a copy of the return, delete the unwanted state in the copy

and rollover the copy without the old state.

I'm getting this (crashing) when I tried to delete CA and reload because I got an efile rejection and thought the 540 might be corrupted. I got a call from tech support today regarding another issue I had posted on the official forum. I had already corrected it, but apparently they are trying to recreate errors we're getting so they can find the problems. So we need to report this problem.

I did post it in the other forum and last time I checked (before dinner!) no one had responded. Don't recall if anyone had even read it.

Thanks for letting me know I should tell them, though. I thought they were monitoring over here, too, and so would not have thought to _report_ over there -- I was just looking for help.

I get the same crash. For one, I had to get it done so I ended up re-inputting the return from scratch instead of from rollover. Pain....

Over on the "other" forum, folks had a work-around of duplicating the 2011 return, deleting the un-wanted state _there_ then rolling over from that one and re-entering. Oy. Also an official ATX person said the next update should address this (note use of the conditional) and that there is no known workaround. (The following post was the other user who DID have a work-around. An annoying one, but a work-around. Once again the users are more facile than the techies.)

I went over there and then saw your post, so I added on to it. I'm sure they monitor here too, but probably not as much. I got a call from a tech support today. I wonder if they tend to call the people that post reasonable requests, don't scream on the board, and tend to post relevant info, like what system they're using and how the error was generated? He actually laughed when I told him I was getting this error too, and after crashing twice, decided to go to bed and worry about it in the morning. Said that was sometimes the best way to deal with it.