ATX Community

TEACHER EXPENSE

GeorgeM

I have a new client who is a teacher, and she says that she is entitles to up to $250 deduction for supplies.

Yes.

Line 23 on 1040

And, make sure she knows it's not a standard amount, and if she happened to spend more than $250, the excess goes to Sch A.

I have to explain to somebody every year that it's not an automatic deduction, you have to have paid out of pocket. And, I think most teachers think it's a $250 credit, they are so excited about it.

• Like 1

Being a teacher myself, I spend at least twice that amount every year on my class and students. Students who cannot afford registration fees for State wide competitions get some every year. I am an automotive instructor and have been for a number of years and so looking forward to retirement in four years. All of the little things, small tools, wiring accessories; etc that I buy. Heck this year we couldn't even get a fifty five gallon size trash can for the "NEW" shop we are in. So, we (my partner and I) bought two.

As for any additional amounts a teacher spend, they are subject to the 2% on Schedule A. It is a pure shame it has to be claimed this way. On a side note, our Superintendent just issued the budget proposal preparation letter. Sums up to get ready here comes more cuts. I've heard this song and dance for the last 15 years. Teachers in our area have not had a raise in pay since 2006. Matter of fact, four years ago, we gave up a one time 2% deduction from our pay to help the State out. How dare you teacher ask for a tax credit! Geez give us a break. For those who think we are just a bunch of over paid whiners, PLEASE come do my job for one week, then pass judgement on me. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and my job and it is exciting to see young people grow and become successful. A true educator is not in it for the money or the so called great benefits. My rewards are the enormous smiles on graduation day.

As for any additional amounts a teacher spend, they are subject to the 2% on Schedule A... A true educator is not in it for the money or the so called great benefits. My rewards are the enormous smiles on graduation day.

Yes, the excess goes on the same line other employees use.

I'm sure you are a fantastic teacher, Terry. There are many. But teaching is like every other profession; some are awesome, some are atrocious.

Sometime walk down to the Math wing, and see if there are any coaches down there teaching Math with waivers. We had one that liked kids so much, he made them run till they threw up. He treated the cheerleaders better, not sure what that was about. Also, ask the Algebra II teacher if she ever has to teach behind a crappy Algebra I teacher. That is a special kind of misery. I mean reward.

Also, when you passed through the English wing, did you see four teachers teaching, but that one guy with his head in the newspaper and half his kids asleep? He is good at discipline. ;)

My kids lived through one 3rd grade teacher who couldn't put a complete sentence together. I wanted to get out my red pen and correct all her "correspondence". Thankfully, though, for every one stinker, there were five fantastic teachers. Just wish there were zero stinkers.

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the kind words on being a fantastic teacher but I don't put myself in that category. I feel I do a good job and will always strive to do better. I have seen teachers like you speak of and wonder why they are in the classroom. I have done evaluations where it was discovered the teacher was unlicensed. In our district we have one teacher that uses lessons sung by Justin Bieber and other stars to take the place of classroom lectures. If parents were more involved in their children's education I feel you would see a big change or at least an increase in accountability. Just to note, we have open houses twice per to invite parents to get to know their child's teachers. Normally, I have 50 to 60 students per semester and usually get three parents to show up.

Normally, I have 50 to 60 students per semester and usually get three parents to show up.

Yep, and they are parents you are happy to see, but don't really NEED to see, right?

I was happy to see one of my students this week. He was a C student and now makes $90,000 a year working at the Chevrolet dealership.

My opinion is that running neck and neck with parents in the race of blame when it comes to deficiencies in the school system is that giant, ineffective, agency minding the store. They are not exactly setting the woods on fire. At anything.

Guest Taxed

We almost lost the $250 deduction this year! Wonder how long Congress will allow that above the line deduction for just one profession? Perhaps a better and more equitable way to allow employees to deduct a portion of their "work related expenses" is to use a formula like the sales tax deduction andallow a deduction that on the front of 1040 instead of Sch A. All those taxpayers who do not itemize are getting the short end of the stick!

"Sometime walk down to the Math wing, and see if there are any coaches down there teaching Math with waivers. We had one that liked kids so much, he made them run till they threw up. He treated the cheerleaders better, not sure what that was about. Also, ask the Algebra II teacher if she ever has to teach behind a crappy Algebra I teacher. That is a special kind of misery. I mean reward."

Rita - This describes my freshman and sophomore year Algebra I and Algebra II experience to a "T." It's uncanny really. Our football coach was our Algebra I teacher. Couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag. Sat me on his desk during the middle of class one day and rubbed my calves because the girl's basketball coach told him I was having trouble with shin splints. Can you say embarassing....not to mention wrong! Fortunately my Algebra II teacher was awesome. He knew what he was up against and basically taught two years of Algebra in one.

He knew what he was up against and basically taught two years of Algebra in one.

I tried to do it for eight years. Got totally burned out. So, now I am doing taxes, and there is no pressure, and I never have to work long hours or anything. Bahahahahaha!

• Like 1

whoopee!!

don't get me wrong, i take it every time.

this little bit ALONE, saves up to 1/3 of my average 165 - 255++ tax billing:

$250 x 15% fed + 7% state marginal tax bracket = 55 tax savings...or

$250 x 25% fed + 9% state marginal tax bracket = 85 tax savings.