ATX Community

Your refund check will be sent to you by mail

HV Ken

Client sent me a copy of the following letter received from the IRS:

Notice: CP53

We had to do some additional processing on your tax return. Therefore, we weren't able to honor your request for direct deposit of your tax refund and are sending you a check instead. As a result, you should receive a refund check in the mail in 3-4 weeks.

I have never seen this one before. Anyone have any idea what this could be about?

Gee thanks jainen. I have never seen where they convert from direct deposit to paper check as a result of additional processing. Only when the direct deposit information is invalid. How can additional processing have an impact on how they deliver the refund?

Ken, I never saw them do that either. But it would not surprise me if they have some internal rule about 'YOU MUST MAKE THE DIRECT DEPOSIT WITHIN X DAYS, OR THE AUTHORIZATION EXPIRES'. Even tho it makes no logical sense, and only delays the taxpayer getting his/her refund that much longer.

>>I have never seen where they convert from direct deposit to paper check as a result of additional processing.<<

I have. It was a big problem in the early days of RAL. It usually meant there was an offset for back taxes or child support. I would guess it now relates to internal security procedures, as kc suggests. Obviously IRS isn't going to discuss that, so for all we are allowed to know their letter just means whatever it says.