ATX Community

IRA roll over correction form

ILLMAS

Box 2 shows the same amount as box 1, distribution code is 2, box 2b and 2c are checked off, since it was a roll over, box 2 should be zero and box 7 should be G. Client brought in broker statement from the new account and it reflects the same amount from box 1 and 2.

Technically, for a rollover the code is correct. If the client took the money out and rolled it over to a new IRA, the old trustee has no information other than the distribution that they have properly reported. You will need to fill in the rollover box on the 1099R you input and complete the explanation stating that the money was rolled over. The code G is for trustee to trustee transfers only and does not apply to rollovers.

I wish this discussion had taken place last week. I had one that was coded 1 for premature distribution; no known exception. The taxpayer contacted the broker who said we couldn't get a corrected 1099R until May. I went ahead and filed it as it was with the intention of amending it when we get the correct information. Because this was a very complicated return involving inheritances, and many other issues; the client did not want to do anything that would draw unnecessary scrutiny to the return. I assured him that we had not done anything incorrectly, but he preferred this route.

This board is a never-ending learning experience. Gail, it was not a trustee to trustee transfer which is probably why it was not coded G and I didn't know that either. It could have been coded 4 at least and avoided the penalty.