ATX Community

Aaargh - Software ate an entire return

jasdlm

Guest Taxed

The data file may be there but corrupted hence you can't open it. Call Tech support and see if they can rescure most of the data.

In Taxwise sometimes you can not see a client file but if you run the database repair utility most of the time it will rescure most of the data.

That happened to me twice before the update to 2012.10; not since. However, tonight I lost my FAM on a complicated return and had to roll the client over again; then re-enter pages of data that I lost. I had the export, but that was missing the FAM. Things have been going pretty smooth here, but now things are getting goofy again.

I don't know what happened in your case, but I save as soon as I finish entering name, SS# and address of the filer. This saves me at any time since the auto save kicks constantly. If I don't save the very first chance you have, I risk:

1.- A power outrage

2.- A child pulling the power from my computer

3.- My client stepping on my surge protector and turning it off when it start looking at the ceiling looking for numbers to answer my question

4.- My ATX software failing and closing itself

5.- My OS claiming my ATX software "performed an illegal action and it will be shut down".

6.- My OS shutting down my computer

7.- My computer freezes

8.- My computer restarts because of memory reason, etc.

Keep in mind that if any of the above happens, I will lose only few minutes of work instead of hours.

I had a similar incident in Feb - -a NUMBER of calls - -hours on hold - -Talked to Customer Service - -they FINALLY agreed to hand me off to Tech - -who spent an hr - -then FINALLY got a hold of a programmer who took 30 minutes to get it back - -it was almost OK after that - - -

Just persist with each person on the phone to get to who you need - -by now - -they should know the routine.

Good Luck!

It was way faster rekeying all the info. Pacun, I save and export soon and often. However, I never realized that the Fixed Assets were missing until I went to enter a new one. I fixed it by deleting the client, rolling him over again and re-entering the lost data. It really irritates me that you can export to the same file and change it, but if you want to import or restore, you don't get the option of copying over the last save. Instead, you get a copy of.........! These late glitches are giving me a sick stomach.