ATX Community

Real Tax Return

Terry D EA

I just finally finished what I call a real tax return. This return consists of form 1040, Sch A, B, two C's D with barter exchanges, 7 E's, 2 K-1's with 7 4562, and all other associated forms, worksheets, AMT worksheets, form 2441 etc; and then we have the State. My stapler can only handle 60 pages. Stretched the stapes to the limit but they are holding. Now with adding the client's information the client folder is about one inch thick. How do any of you organize a mess like this? Here is what I have done. Two hold punch at the top of the forms, organize them by income, expenses and Itemized deductions; etc., with a binder (guess that is what it is called). I am glad to be done with this one.

• Like 1

When they get that large, I switch to a heavy Globe-Weis or Smead hardboard folder (they come in blue and green). It has Acco Clips permanently mounted on both inside sections, so all I need to do is punch the papers and slip them into their proper place. It will expand to about 1-1/2 inches and it's very durable. I like those folders, and I like producing the invoice that goes along with them.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Hope you are billing based on time as well as # of forms. How long did it take you to do it start to end.

Did you consider buying a heavy duty electric stapler?

If I had a client with that much paperwork, I would give them a CD with PDF of all their documents. For hard copy i would give them just the main forms. and signature pages. All supporting docs and worksheets would be in the CD.

I special ordered these tyvek envelopes (similar to priority mail 1lb envelope).

In my experience most client just throw the folder in their filing cabinet and forget about it. So a nice pretty folder in my opinion is a waste of money and effort.

the rule in my office is that if any folder exceeds 3/4" in thickness, Lila the giant Dog is allowed to chew at random until thickness is sufficiently reduced....works like a charm and no client has ever complained about he excess dog slobber.

they like me because I'm quircky and my big dog is adorable....they keep coming back because I'm good.

• Like 1

I use the folders like John. If it's too thick to fit in one folder, then the return is in one and source docs in another. That return sounds like the ones that I've had coming in recently. I have a heavy duty stapler for the really thick returns. I used to bind them all in expensive covers, but most clients don't care. I've been using the two pocket folders for the last 2 years and only bind the ones that are too thick to fit in the folders.

I don't even use the folders. I use 9" x 12" envelopes with a name and date label in the top left corner & my card stapled to the top right corner.

And that's only for the ones who pick up a paper copy. Many of my clients are now happy with the .PDF that gets emailed.

the rule in my office is that if any folder exceeds 3/4" in thickness, Lila the giant Dog is allowed to chew at random until thickness is sufficiently reduced....works like a charm and no client has ever complained about he excess dog slobber. they like me because I'm quircky and my big dog is adorable....they keep coming back because I'm good.
I think my clients think the same of me! My dog looking for pets, a fluffy kitty in their lap, and at this point, if I'm awake they're lucky. I've been wearing my slippers lately to meet clients.
  • Like 1