ATX Community

Has anybody ever tried CrossLink?

Crackerjack

I have been using it since I began e-filing in 2000. Prior to using Crosslink, I was using a very antiquated DOS based program that had less than approx 20 subscribers (it was a locally developed program). So when I started using Crosslink I loved it!! I have demoed many other software programs since, but I don't find any other program as user friendly. The program is very speedy once you know your hotkeys, and I can get an easy return completed within minutes from entry to printing to packaging. For perspective, I prepare about 600 returns annually, of varying difficulty.

I think it is a reasonable cost, but of course could always be cheaper!

Note: I do not do any entities, so I cannot speak to the functionality of the software in regards to those returns.

Tech support was A++++++ in the beginning, but has decreased to about an A+! Or maybe, it is me and my irritability and impatience that has increased! :unsure:

I used Cross Link YEARS AGO, but they did not at that time offer business returns, or my state, so I could not stay with them. I think it was the first year of efile, and they helped me set up as a direct filer. AR at that point did not have efile so I was doing those by hand. But I did like the company, their support was excellent, and their software was easy to use. I think they would be worth checking out, at least..

What does your package include? Is it capable of providing service for all states, localities? Cost?

My package includes federal 1040's and all states - I am unsure about localities, because I don't do many state returns other than Indiana. They do charge me $1 per fed efiled return. They started that last year, and I really pitched a fit, but I did not quit them!! I have not been solicited yet to renew this year, but last year I paid about $1000 to purchase plus approx $600 for the extra efile fee at the end of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

update -

after multiple inquiries regarding renewal quotes, I finally got a response.

Crosslink verbally quoted me a renewal fee of $2995 which would include unlimited efiling. About a $1200 increase from last year! They did recommend a few resellers of their reskinned software with lower prices. See https://utaxsoftware.com/ and http://www.simpletaxservices.net/index.php/desktop-software/simpletax1040/product-overview

I guess I am shopping for new software! :mad::wall:

I keep getting solicitations from CrossLink Professional Tax Software. Somehow, they seem to know that I need reliability, 24/7 U.S. based tech support, and easy conversion. Does anyone have any experience with this software? I haven't seen it discussed on the boards.

I actually interviewed for a position with them at one time (long time ago). The customer support was located in Tracy CA. Seemed like a robust enough 1040 software the last time I looked at it, but it did not have all the PR, 1099, 571L features that came with ATX. This was about 4 years ago I think when I looked at it. Salesmen actually came to my office.

One thing is, they have a lot of retail customers. You know the car dealerships that will do your taxes and use your refund as the down payment? Check cashing services that do taxes. Customers like that. I thought it was competing with me, so that turned me off as well. Not sure if there is a viable market for those services anymore with the testing and regulations that have come down in the last few years. But Crosslink used to play in that market.

I think they also look in on this board.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• 6 months later...

Get a demo and check the functionality before you pay for it. It may be a customized version with reduced functionality.

Remember TRX used to resell Taxworks. But it was watered down version and cheaper!

Kea, thanks so much for the info. I was going to go with Drake next season, but maybe I will think about getting one of the reskinned products as a backup. I will check them out!

Drake is a good choice. Several of us switched to Drake.

BTW whatever happened to that Software Survey that JKLCPA put together??

BTW whatever happened to that Software Survey that JKLCPA put together??

The poll was in General Chat, posted near the end of May. You won't be able to find it by going back through the pages any more, but performing a narrow search for a word like "poll" will bring it up.

I was thinking about doing one again once many more of the members have returned next season.