ATX Community

fees-paid

TAXMAN

Just saw the information where the accountant finally got paid for years of work. This was for basically all schedule C work. Bill was 17K. TP paid this bill without borrowed funds. Would it be safe to pace that amount on Schedule C under professional fees. Gonna make Sch C look sick this year. What would you do?

Why would you NOT put it on Schedule C for the year paid? Cash-basis taxpayer, claim expense in year paid. If it is legitimately ALL for Sch C work, then it goes as professional fees on Sch C.

Guy is very lucky in his accountant; my engagement letter for businesses states that if three invoices are unpaid I have the right to refuse to perform future work until a payment is made. I'd never let someone's tab grow to $17K. (Maybe if they were sole heir of a rich uncle in poor health, lol.)

Guest Taxed

Catherine is right. I am just curious if 17k deduction for professional fees is going to cause a net loss on Sch C?

It may make is stick out like a sore thumb. Hope the TP paid by check and had invoices from the accountant that were delinquent until paid.