ATX Community

ATX response to Raven DB Questions

Lee B

Interesting Rob! I am looking to do a simple network once I get the new laptop I just ordered for my assistant. It's nice to know at least one or two users didn't have issues with a network. Both of my computers will be win7, so any o/s issues won't come up at least.

I just talked to support again today to clarify some of the points brought up in this and ATX's own forum. There should be no problem running a mix of XP and 7 machines (as we do but others had said it won't work.)

Their update for today will deal with backup / restore mostly. There are a couple more scheduled for 2012 version but most of their focus is on 2013. Support was testing network enhancements for next year, said it will be quite fast on networks. Changing the way workstations and server communicate - this won't effect 2012 sorry to say. Anyway, I will believe when I see it. Support was pleased with it (and I asked if he had anything to do with 2012 version, he laughed and said not guilty.)

I just talked to support again today to clarify some of the points brought up in this and ATX's own forum. There should be no problem running a mix of XP and 7 machines (as we do but others had said it won't work.)

Their update for today will deal with backup / restore mostly. There are a couple more scheduled for 2012 version but most of their focus is on 2013. Support was testing network enhancements for next year, said it will be quite fast on networks. Changing the way workstations and server communicate - this won't effect 2012 sorry to say. Anyway, I will believe when I see it. Support was pleased with it (and I asked if he had anything to do with 2012 version, he laughed and said not guilty.)

These are the very things that are making me so uneasy with ATX. We keep getting conflicting information from different sources within the company and it is extremely unsettling. I believe in the old adage, "say what you mean and mean what you say". I sense ATX folks are talking out of both sides of their mouths which would indicate that NOBODY really knows what 2013 will bring. I have already experience one year like that and am not prepared to do it again. I have taken on the task of updating my hardware system so the server is running 2008 and all of the workstations 7, but with the sense of being out of control that ATX portrays STILL, I just can not see me spending another year with them. I am in series discussions with ProSystem fx (yes, another CCH product but one that seems to have it together) and may just be using their Axcess program next year.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you refer to the first post in this thread containing information from ATX about the Raven DB, you will see the following:

"We have been in contact with the RavenDB vendor and explained that ATX2012 opens the database local to the computer AND that we do not support the use of the software from multiple OS user accounts at the same time or in a Terminal Server/RDP or Remote Desktop scenario."

We have witnessed this very thing live on our network. You believe whatever tech person you wish, but this is reality. This MUST be changed for networks to use the program properly.

The other problem lies in the fact that this requirement of NOT supporting multiple users with different OS is part of the requirements of Raven for use of their DB as is noted in the rest of the statement:

"After explaining the above unsupported environments, and detailing how ATX2012 makes use of RavenDB, the vendor confirmed that based on his understanding of how the application is making use of the software and of the lack of our support for the RDP/Remote Desktop scenarios, ATX is using RavenDB in a supported manner."

Unless CCH SFS gets their act together with some seriously experienced developers, we will be able to build a memorial to their existance after 2013.

Guest Taxed

I wonder if ATX is giving out to their tech support folks "standard talking points" on this issue since they published the specs.

If not why not and do they risk further backlash if conflicting info is given to users?

I would trust their written communication over any tech support rep's assurance!

• Like 1

I wonder if ATX is giving out to their tech support folks "standard talking points" on this issue since they published the specs.

If not why not and do they risk further backlash if conflicting info is given to users?

I would trust their written communication over any tech support rep's assurance!

One of the most stupid blunders on the part of CCH SFS is not keeping the tech support people up to date DAILY on things happening with the program. Several times I taught the tech support person something that had been posted here from the other board, but the tech support person was clueless about.

Again, CCH SFS has to really step it up in a phenomonal way, or it will be an "also ran" after the next tax season. I will do my very best to let them know this as a Beta tester. Trust me, they may kick me out but I will be straight with them from a computer savvy experienced tax preparer's point of view.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you refer to the first post in this thread containing information from ATX about the Raven DB, you will see the following:

"We have been in contact with the RavenDB vendor and explained that ATX2012 opens the database local to the computer AND that we do not support the use of the software from multiple OS user accounts at the same time or in a Terminal Server/RDP or Remote Desktop scenario."

We have witnessed this very thing live on our network. You believe whatever tech person you wish, but this is reality. This MUST be changed for networks to use the program properly.

It's not believing, it's working on our network.

And I've seen other hardware setups similar to ours mentioned in these forums, with XP and 7 workstations. Working.

Support said that above statement was badly worded and they DO support workstations running XP and 7 at the same time. They were trying to stress multiple sessions (remote desktop and TServices) would not work because workstation has a snapshot of data base on local station and two instances would not work.

It's not believing, it's working on our network.

And I've seen other hardware setups similar to ours mentioned in these forums, with XP and 7 workstations. Working.

Support said that above statement was badly worded and they DO support workstations running XP and 7 at the same time. They were trying to stress multiple sessions (remote desktop and TServices) would not work because workstation has a snapshot of data base on local station and two instances would not work.

Is your network a domain network or peer to peer?

I run a domain network and all workstations are running XP. Although slow, I had no MAJOR problems for 2012. I brought in a 7 machine about the third week of March and it would not even think of opening ATX as long as the system even thought one of the XP's might have it open. Ended up using the 7 machine as a printer. I would send my return print to the document manager, which I had open on the 7 and print the return from there. That did free up recources on the XPs so we could be more productive there, but we should not have to do that. 2012 was a very major blunder and it bothers me a great deal that ATX fails to accept that.

DO NOT INSTALL 12.16 IF YOU ARE ON A NETWORK!!

Take this simply for what it says.

NEW problems since I updated.

CCH SFS developers bit the big one again!!!

ATX SFS developers show the ineptness once again.

We are screwed. Can't undo. Even if I do a total system remove and install (3 day process) the latest install file has 12.16 in it!

Thanks again CCH!!!

I am posting this several places to warn everyone. Please excuse the redundancy. I am on hld for "upper tier" tech support. :wall::spaz:

When we click on print now, the program crashes. Loses all data in the return that is open. Tried this on 3 different workstations. On the phone with tech now. They are going to get an earful!!!

Jack - I appreciate you. You are pushing me away from ATX. I keep thinking I might be making a mistake by leaving, but you are helping me accept it. I am about 18 hours away from making a final decision to go to CCH Axcess Pro System fx.

Prosystems fx would cost us $20K+. Not in our budget. My decision to lose ATX is very close to being made also. I am making a new thread with information I just found out.

Prosystems fx would cost us $20K+. Not in our budget. My decision to lose ATX is very close to being made also. I am making a new thread with information I just found out.

Doesn't matter to me because we each have to make our own decisions and live with them, but I encourage you to do the math. $20,000 for 3,000 returns? That is less than $7 per return. Raise the fee at least $10 accross the board and now you have not only paid for Pro System fx, you have made some additional money besides. Just sayin'.

Is your network a domain network or peer to peer?

Domain.

Couple years ago we were on a peer to peer.

If different operating systems conflicting during use is an issue, I could most certainly see it happening on a peer to peer network.