ATX Community

Old files

Terry D EA

While cleaning up my desktop machine, I discover that I still had the 2000, thru 2008 ATX program installed and all files/tax returns created for those years residing on an external harddrive atached to the machine. Should I do some kind of archive on this or would you just remove the programs and delete the files. There are backups for each year on CD's as well. I can't imagine someone needing tax returns prepared that far back.

Several years ago, my state of Oregon had a tax amnesty program, which waived all penalties and reduced the interest by 50%.

for all nonfilers who filed and paid all the taxes due. I ended up preparing ten years of C Corporation returns for a client.

Guest Taxed

I take off all clients files and tax programs off my HD after 3 years. They are all archived in DVD so if I need them for some reason I can get it in less than 30 minutes.

I like to keep my HD as lean as possible for faster access!

In the last 10 years I had to go to a return more than 3 years old only a handful of times because the taxpayer needed a copy for some reason.

I have ATX since 2001 and I use them from time to time. I have archived 2001 to 2008 by keeping my old computer with monitor in a dry, clean and easily accessible place... which next to my current computer.

I normally keep back up of data on external hard drives.

Guest Taxed

Just curious, why would you need to run a 2001 tax return in 2013? Do you not save the preparer copy of the return in a PDF and use that if you need it refer to something?

Just curious, why would you need to run a 2001 tax return in 2013? Do you not save the preparer copy of the return in a PDF and use that if you need it refer to something?

Why will I mess with a computer that is working properly and try to remove 2001, 2002, 2003? People file taxes for the last 10 years or amend for many reasons, including immigration proceedings.

It doesn't hurt if my archived computer has old programs.

Guest Taxed

True it does not hurt your archived computer. In all my years I have never had to go back 10 years to recreate returns. I think the most i had was 3 years and those are 99% when the taxpayer wants to file for bankruptcy protection and the attorney wants to see the last 3 years returns.

Well, what we have is what we have. I, for one, am not messing with it. I have way over half the HD empty on that very functional XP computer and, as Pacun said, have it within easy access for a variety of reasons. I knew at the end of last year that ATX would not calculate another year of tax returns; and how right I turned out to be in ways that nobody could foresee. I hope that 2002 IBM never dies because some of the programs I use on it will not work on Win 7; such as older versions of Print Shop, etc.; and I use them often. Also, there is the issue of no Microsoft support after 2014; which is a crying shame. Have restorable backups of everything just in case; and I would not hesitate to put a new harddrive in that old computer if that was all it needed because it is in excellent condition and holds a lot of info. It is much easier for me to boot up to find an old return right in my office rather than going to the basement to look for a backup disk or a paper copy.

Guest Taxed

Yes indeed. I would really miss my Win XP Pro once Microsoft pulls the plug. If they stop giving security updates I will NOT take the risk of running business applications on that machine.

I guess we will be seeing an increase in Sec. 179 costs next year for our clients who must upgrade!

Yes indeed. I would really miss my Win XP Pro once Microsoft pulls the plug. If they stop giving security updates I will NOT take the risk of running business applications on that machine.

I guess we will be seeing an increase in Sec. 179 costs next year for our clients who must upgrade!

I am planning to use my XP PRO SP3 machine for the next 10 years if necessary. I will never connect it to the a Network and I will never connect it to the Internet. Who said that a computer dies as soon as MS decides not to support the OS? There are two things that happens when MS stops support:

1.- If you computer breaks, you don't have support from MS at $300 per hour without warranty to fix your issue.

2.- No more updates for the OS.

I have never used option one and option 2 is no problem if your computer is only on for a few hours a year and you don't network it or connect it to the internet. It is something like... in a closed mouth, no fly goes in (sorry for the literal translation).

Guest Taxed

Most business applications including Tax prep software and anti-virus get their uptates downloaded from the internet. Are you saying you will not get any updates by not connecting to the internet?

Most business applications including Tax prep software and anti-virus get their uptates downloaded from the internet. Are you saying you will not get any updates by not connecting to the internet?

You are right but if ATX wants to update its 2001 - 2008 software, in 2013, I don't want to install it. Antivirus (Symantec AV) has two kinds of updates, 64 bits and 32 bits. It will take more than a decade for them to stop providing 32bit updates. You update the definition file from USB or CD Roms from your well protected current computer. No need to be updated using the Internet.

Did you know that you need antivirus because your computer is connected to a network, which includes the internet or because you insert any USB drive on your computer?

Let me give you a perfect example. A married person does not need to use any protection with the spouse because there is no newtork involved.

You are right but if ATX wants to update its 2001 - 2008 software, in 2013, I don't want to install it. Antivirus (Symantec AV) has two kinds of updates, 64 bits and 32 bits. It will take more than a decade for them to stop providing 32bit updates. You update the definition file from USB or CD Roms from your well protected current computer. No need to be updated using the Internet.

Did you know that you need antivirus because your computer is connected to a network, which includes the internet or because you insert any USB drive on your computer?

Let me give you a perfect example. A married person does not need to use any protection with the spouse because there is no newtork involved.

But sometimes there are sub-files which appear unexpectedly.