ATX Community

I am looking at new software

rfassett

MichelleATX's (or is it ATXMichelle) RavenDB comments last week have me very concerned about 2013 and beyond - at least from a network perspective. So I am looking at ProSeries, Lacerte, and ProSystems fx this week. I am thinking ProSeries is not going to work due to not being able to e-file PA business returns. I am mandated to e-file due to the volume I do. I will clarify ProSeries position this week. The other two seem to be viable. I looked at UltraTax Saas lease program and to lease the software I need would be over a grand per month - ain't happenin'.

Is Drake on your short list?

Drake professes to be for firms that are more individual returns oriented with a splattering of business returns (that is what I read in literature from them). That does not fit my practice profile. I would put Tax Wise and Drake on the same playing field. ATX was different and really fit my practice to a "T". But the sands of time are a changing.

Guest Taxed

From the Prosystem fx demo viedos and articles it does appear to be a software primarily geared for large tax prep shops and CPA offices. I am sure they charge accordingly.

For us one person shops with temp seasonal help, I think Drake will do for now. The price is reasonable and customer service is excellent.

As they say you have to get the right tool for the right job!

My experience this past season has made my decision to downsize very easy. Back in 1999 I prepared 640 tax returns - -all by myself - -with ATX. Today I received the most arrogant and insulting renewal offer ever. I presume that there will never be any responsibility taken for the 2012 fiasco, but I also cannot continue with their promises, because - - we all know how well that went last year!

The icing on the cake - - -"we have received positive feedback after version 12.3 was released in early April" REALLY???? You finally had a somewhat working program with 10 days left??? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Soooooo I am testing Drake to prepare less than 50 personal (some Sched C) returns for next year. I realize that there will be a learning curve, and am unable to make any of the seminars, but would appreciate any input from others.

I have received what I consider to be a very good offer from Pro Series which I am not at liberty to disclose. I have not yet made my decision but just thought I would pass that along. I have posed the question about being able to efile PA business returns and have received a positive response. I will be preparing a 990 on the evaluation copy of Pro Series this afternoon. If anyone is interested in the offer, PM me and I will give you my contact's info. I repeat that I am not able to discuss the offer, but I can certainly point you in the proper direction.

Guest Taxed

I have received what I consider to be a very good offer from Pro Series which I am not at liberty to disclose. I have not yet made my decision but just thought I would pass that along. I have posed the question about being able to efile PA business returns and have received a positive response. I will be preparing a 990 on the evaluation copy of Pro Series this afternoon. If anyone is interested in the offer, PM me and I will give you my contact's info. I repeat that I am not able to discuss the offer, but I can certainly point you in the proper direction.

I know you can't disclose the price BUt is it more than $1095?

Although I'm not likely to change, I do like to keep up with what's out there. I have so many people on extension this year with Congress delaying forms, that this would be a possible year to work with a new program doing extensions to get up to speed. So, I was on an Ultra Tax webinar this morning. They don't do anything ProSystem fx doesn't do, and couldn't answer a couple of my questions that would be deal breakers. But the rep is talking to me later today or tomorrow.

RFassett and anyone else on this board: I've used ProSystem fx for six tax seasons, so please feel free to call on me. It's not presumptuous!

My practice is just me. I don't do a lot of returns, but they are not simple. I have a little bit of a lot of things: partnerships, S-corporations, trusts, and nonprofits, and even a corporation that catches up every three years or so. Most of my returns are individual, many NY commuters and other multi-state returns. I wish I could concentrate on just individuals. But, when a spouse starts an LLC with a partner or grandma opens a trust for a client's son or a client otherwise adds a new return, I don't want to send them away. My software and its tech support have been my safety net. What I don't spend on office rental or an assistant (just haven't been able to keep an assistant capable of learning taxes out here in the boonies) I spend on my software. If I were younger and likely to expand and to add preparers, I might spend more on office space and less on software. Different strokes.

• Like 1

My practice tax prep consists of about 70% inidvidual, 20% corporate and the other 10% consist of partnerhips, fiduciary and non-profits. Unfortunately as it were, my practice covers the state border so I have about 30% of my clients from across the border and 70% on my home state side. I received a proposal from Ultra Tax this morning to cover all of this with the software installed on my server and the number was in the $8,500 range and that is with a promotional 30% discount. As an aside, I believe UT is offering TW customers three years at somewhere around what the TW customers were paying TW. Doesn't quite seem fair. Anyway, my next year renewal price would be north of $10,000.

Lion, if you would be so kind, if you are under no obligation like I am with Pro Series, could you PM me and tell me if ProSystems fees are in line with UT. Lacerte quoted me a price of $6,000 this morning on the phone, but I am uncertain what that includes, since my conversation went further in depth with the rep about Pro Series and I did not have much time to quiz him about Lacerte.

My practice tax prep consists of about 70% inidvidual, 20% corporate and the other 10% consist of partnerhips, fiduciary and non-profits. Unfortunately as it were, my practice covers the state border so I have about 30% of my clients from across the border and 70% on my home state side. I received a proposal from Ultra Tax this morning to cover all of this with the software installed on my server and the number was in the $8,500 range and that is with a promotional 30% discount. As an aside, I believe UT is offering TW customers three years at somewhere around what the TW customers were paying TW. Doesn't quite seem fair. Anyway, my next year renewal price would be north of $10,000.

Lion, if you would be so kind, if you are under no obligation like I am with Pro Series, could you PM me and tell me if ProSystems fees are in line with UT. Lacerte quoted me a price of $6,000 this morning on the phone, but I am uncertain what that includes, since my conversation went further in depth with the rep about Pro Series and I did not have much time to quiz him about Lacerte.

Our ATX past and this year's quote is under 2,000 with multi-user, all states, unlimited efiles, etc (obviously with it's flaws - 2012 version). Server with workstations was our installation.

UT and Lacerte are one year quotes? They are that much more or am I missing something? I requested a Drake demo to look at and want to check out other products but certainly not much more than we are currently paying with CCH.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Guest Taxed

UltraTax and Prosystem Fx are both too rich for my blood!

For most of us one person shops with mostly 1040 returns and a handful of business and entity returns I believe Drake offers the best value in terms of cost and customer support. I have used products (Taxworks from a reseller) that was almost 50% of Drake cost wlth comparable features but the customer service was absolutely nasty!

Guest Taxed

Proseries 1040 Complete package is $1649 plus $44 for each business return. Does not include client write up or paperless office!

The other packages may be limited for most of us doing anywhere between 200 -500 returns and in multi states. I do at least 6 states routinely and once in a while a few that I have never done before.

Prosystem fx quoted me a price to do 1,000 returns at $12K after a 30% discount. You do the math.

My practice consists for over 400 returns (60% personal & 40 % Business entities ) incuding 1120, 1120s and 1065.

I have been speaking to Proseries and have price with 60% discount for unlmited personal and business efiles with all states until 2017.

Guest Taxed

My practice consists for over 400 returns (60% personal & 40 % Business entities ) incuding 1120, 1120s and 1065.

I have been speaking to Proseries and have price with 60% discount for unlmited personal and business efiles with all states until 2017.

Their list is $1649, so 60% discount would be around $660. So are you paying around $660? If yes you got one hell of a deal my friend!