ATX Community

Data Theives steal her Computer, and IRS does nothing...

Richcpaman

>> I have an understanding that not all computers are hack when lost or stolen, most end up with a new OS system in a pawn shop for example.

A friend of mine bought a laptop from a used computer/pawn shop for her daughter, only to find out that the OS system was not activated. After a month when it locked her out she had to call Microsoft and they would not activate it. She ended up buying a copy of Win XP from Tiger direct.

A common trick used by these guys is to install the OS from a bootlegged copy but then they change some thing in one of the files that disables that warning/reminder to activate from popping up.

Actually that's very common in mom and pops computer shop, you need to walk out of there with a MS authenticity sticker or the actual installation disk. The sad part of it is the buyer is not aware until they encounter a situation like ^^^^. My dad took his laptop for a virus removal, walk in with windows 7 home edition and walk out with windows 7 ultimate and office 2007 for a $50 repair.

How long does it take to unencrypte or hack a computer? I have an understanding that not all computers are hack when lost or stolen, most end up with a new OS system in a pawn shop for example. Even in Hollywood movies the computer has to fall in the wrong hands. We had a state auditor that would leave her laptop overnight in our office because it was a hassle to carry it everyday, but even if we wanted to do something with it, what would we do with a computer that has inscribe property of the state?

An associate a decade ago was making a 'client call and presentation" to one of the owners of a business (equivalent to fortune 500 account); left their computer in the "office annex" where all the employees hung out while he and the owner went to lunch (owner assured secure, etc.). Came back, found some of the "employees" --playing with several "programs" that were only available on HIS COMPUTER and not available to the general public (including the company he was calling on). Bottom line, went to owner, explained situation --- owner fired three people immediately as they had compromised my associates computer --- they thought it was just fun but caused them to lose their jobs. Needless to say, my associate kept his computer with him or "locked" up after that.

Hacking can be good or bad BUT it still can be trouble for the person losing control of the data.

• Like 1

It took TrueCrypt 12 hours to encrypt the 750 GB hard drive on the i7 laptop. Perhaps BitLocker is faster.

Tomorrow I start intalling all my tax software back to 1998 (if it will let me go back that far).

For that computer, that hard drive is wide open. You should have 0 issues accessing ATX due to the encryption.

While encryption may prevent some thieves this identifies physical tampering!

Physical tampering with machines is a growing problem. While drive encryption, strong passwords might keep causal thieves out, traveling offers many ways for prying eyes to physically compromise a laptop.

Many people affix tamper-proof seals over ports and screws but these seals can in fact be replicated or opened cleanly in minutes by anyone with even minimal training, the researchers said during a presentation in Germany.

Glitter nail polish can create a seal that is impossible to copy. Once applied, it has what effectively is a random pattern. Once painted over screws or onto stickers placed over ports, it is difficult to replicate once broken, 'Wired' magazine reported.

Experts recommend using your smartphone to take a picture of the laptop with the seals applied before leaving it alone, taking another photo upon returning and using a software program to shift rapidly between the two images to compare them.

Even very small differences -- a screw that is in a very slightly different position, or glitter nail polish that has a very slightly different pattern of sparkle will be evident.

• Like 1