ATX Community

E-FILE ERROR HELP

DEO

I have done client return for the past 5 years. I transmitted this return yesterday and received a rejection error.

Checked it over and over but cannot determined what it is about.

Can some one point me in the right direction. Oct 15 is around the corner.

IND-508 Federal 1040

Primary SSN in the Return Header must not be equal to the Spouse SSN on another tax return for which

filing status is Married Filing Jointly or [filing status is Married Filing Separately and the Spouse exemption

is claimed].

Thanks for any assistance

Deo

Check for any stray space or character in the field by deleting the field and typing in the SSN fresh. But, if you rolled this return forward from 2012 when it e-filed just fine, I too would suspect identity theft. I'd try one more e-file after retyping the number and then print it out for mailing.

Things happen......and sometimes it can be as simple as forgetting to plug in the lamp.

First...make sure you didn't make a typo or the program carried the information forward correctly.

Although you've done the return for 5 years....ask them if there is any possibility someone is claiming the spouse as a dependent or if the spouse possibly filed separately already.

Most likely, as everyone else suggested....identity theft. Mail in the paper return asap.....and have them contact the social security office asap.

This also happen to one of my clients on extension. Client also received a check for about $5,000 jointly in another persons name draw on a Ca. bank were in NY in late August. When we efiled we got the same reject. Paper filed suggested identify theft to IRS in a letter. Still waiting for a reply.

August @ adgfinancial.com

Hopefully your client is not expecting a large refund. Identity theft situations can take much longer to process. At one of our accounting association chapter meetings, the group exchanged their war stories of this subject. I was surprised at how many members had this experience in their practices.

Some were suggesting that their clients adjust their federal withholdings so that their refunds are smaller, just in case the refund is delayed for identity theft reasons. I also passed this suggestion on to our clients where I could.

Good luck.