ATX Community

Fiduciary services

ljwalters

Client was to ill to handle his own finances. Family member who was suppose to be helping was financially raping the senior. The court ordered an independent Fiduciary. Are these fees deductible under medical.

Client does qualify for the in home care services.

I am just asking about the Fiduciary services.

Thank you.

It is her fault this return is so late. She just sent me the 1099 r , int , and div's and medical and care expenses last night.

The Fiduciary paid all his bills took him to the doctor, organized the in home care and even the hospice in the end. Some of it was definitely medical expenses. A blind person who has to pay a third party to read the mail and balance the check book is able to deduct under disability expenses.

Why I this different?

A blind person who has to pay a third party to read the mail and balance the check book is able to deduct under disability expenses.

I don't think this is true, except in the sense of work-related expenses. Also, there is a case for a blind student using an attendant. But not for ordinary tasks. So, in this matter, Jack from Ohio agrees with both me and Taxed.

The OP later clarified that the "Fiduciary" took him to Doctor's, "organized" home care etc. whatever that means.

From my perspective if this was my client. I would suggest they can deduct the cost of transportation to the medical appointments (mileage or taxi). I don't think OP is saying that the fiduciary performed any personal services like bathing, cleaning the TP?

I just came across this when I wall researching hospice expenses. I don't have time to look it up again, but am sure it is not deductible. Probably falls into the same category as funeral expenses. She can take mileage for the visits to the doctor.

I am wondering if my post is invisible. Anyway, Pub 17 Page 146 has the cans and cannots nicely laid out for you in a Table. Also see Pub 502. It does not sound to me as though the Fiduciary was administering allowable medical care other than transportation. I just had a client pick up the final return for his deceased mother. We certainly did not consider the time involved in his making final arrangements for hospice, etc; to be medical expenses. Only the amounts he paid with her money for actual professional medical care.

• Like 1