ATX Community

IRS Delays PTIN Renewals for 2014 Tax Season

Carolbeck

Washington, D.C. (October 17, 2013)

By Michael Cohn

The Internal Revenue Service has delayed the 2014 season for renewing Preparer Tax Identification Numbers because of the government shutdown that ended last night.

On a Web page that the IRS set up to provide updates on how the shutdown is affecting the agency, the IRS recently added the question, “What is the status of renewing Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTIN) for 2014?”

In response, the IRS stated, “Due to the lapse in government funding, the 2014 PTIN renewal season is delayed. An email or letter will be sent to all current PTIN holders notifying you when the 2014 renewal season opens. The online PTIN system is still available for users to log in and view or change information or to secure a PTIN for 2013. Additional information will be provided on this site as it becomes available.”

To access the page for renewing a PTIN for next tax season, click here,

No, Jack. lol

There was a comment about political strategy regarding the shutdown that didn't belong here so I removed it. If anyone would like to start a related thread about the ongoing effects of the shutdown as it relates to politics in the politics forum, that is OK. If it's something that directly affects tax preparation and what we will be facing as tax preparers, it stays here.

There are some original posts like this one that are more of a PSA so that we are aware of a sitch.

• Like 1

I am not as upset with the continuation of the PTIN fee because I too believe we will get testing and monitoring in some form. BUT if they significantly increase the fee, then I will be upset.

Actually, I am in favor of the PTIN program because it makes it easier for the IRS to track fraudulent tax preparers.

The fee helps make the program self supporting.

So how does the program cause "fraudulent tax preparers" to be tracked more easily? Or does the program require that all preparers, including the one committing fraud to sign up and give all the information to the IRS?

I am missing something here.....

Actually, I am in favor of the PTIN program because it makes it easier for the IRS to track fraudulent tax preparers.

The fee helps make the program self supporting.

For 2012 tax season, more than 20,000 returns were allowed to be filed by paid preparers using PTIN numbers that were not registered through the program with the IRS. I can see how it is working so far...

• Like 2

I agree 100%, Jack. IRS also said the PTIN fee for what used to be free was to help pay for their program of testing and monitoring of CPE. Now that's gone and we are still paying. I do think the testing and monitoring will be back in some form though.

I agree that I believe it will be back in some form and I also agree that it SHOULD be back.

HOW? Before the PTIN we had to use our SSN, so either way they had and still have the ability to track preparers.

I absolutely hated using SS#. Back then identity fraud was not such a big problem, but I just did not like the idea that my full name address and ss# was floating around in the trash when people threw away their old returns (before people recycled or shredded).

Don't misunderstand, I was very happy when they gave us the PTIN so we did not have to put our SSNs on there. I have no problem with them tracking who prepares what returns, and going after the bad ones. What I did not like was when they decided to use it to control preparers without allowing a way to defend against unfounded IRS blocking of a PTIN. I knew someone who was mistakenly accused of some violation of the rules, and discovered that the IRS could freeze a PTIN without any structure in the law for challenging that action, or getting a hearing. And that was BEFORE they came up with the fees.

• Like 1

Don't misunderstand, I was very happy when they gave us the PTIN so we did not have to put our SSNs on there. I have no problem with them tracking who prepares what returns, and going after the bad ones. What I did not like was when they decided to use it to control preparers without allowing a way to defend against unfounded IRS blocking of a PTIN. I knew someone who was mistakenly accused of some violation of the rules, and discovered that the IRS could freeze a PTIN without any structure in the law for challenging that action, or getting a hearing. And that was BEFORE they came up with the fees.

I know a preparer with 30 years experience that had the same thing happen. No charges or even a list of complaints. Just froze the PTIN and his EFIN too. He attempted an appeal, then decided to retire. Never was any information about why they were pulled.

As far as I know, they still have no appeal process in place. My friend was lucky, he was good friends with a US Senator, who contacted the IRS and asked to be informed why the EFIN had been suspended, when the reason given the preparer was provably false. The IRS assigned someone to respond, and within days the EFIN was re-activated. But that does not deal with the underlying problem of no recourse when the IRS acts arbitrarily.

I would say from $0 to $65 is a significant increase. I have received NO BENEFIT from the new program from the IRS.

In addition to the $65, I also paid $95 and took a 200 mile trip to take a (then) mandatory test for a verification and registration that is now worthless.