ATX Community

NY State Preparer Registration

ADGFINANCIAL

I'm in NY, in Stone Ridge, attended a NATP NY seminar late last week.. The new requirement for next year is if you do 1 NY tax return anywhere in the US next year, you must register with NY if you,re just a guy doing taxes. The usual professionals are excluded. The fee is $100. New York State is broke and will be checking and assessing a fine of $250. If caught. NYS will drop the fine if you register within 90 days of being caught. The state is broke and going after every penny they can.

August @ ADG Financial.com

Did they change the law again? Until last year if you are out of state tax preparer and you do less than 10 NY returns you HAVE to register but they don't charge the $100. That applies if you do 10 or more??

Geesh....I'm just waiting for other states to do this!

With my "low fees"....and doing people from all over....it may not be worth it.

I guess the policy will be to check on every state before I do the return.

BTW....if a preparer is in, let's say, Illinois, and he does a NY return....how would he know this rule?

Does "next year" mean 2014 season filing 2013 returns?

I am reading this differently than ADG Financial: I copied this from the website....I have to register(as before) but I only prepare 3 NY returns, I don't have to pay until I do 10 or more.

How do you read this?

In general, you must register if you:

• are paid to prepare at least one New York State return in calendar year 2014 as a tax return preparer, or
  • help to issue or administer a refund anticipation loan or refund anticipation check.

You must pay a $100 registration fee if you are a commercial tax return preparer:

• paid to prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns in calendar year 2013, and will be paid to prepare at least one tax return in calendar year 2014; or
  • will be paid to prepare 10 or more tax returns in calendar year 2014.

See

Based on the posting of Windmill I am reading it this way:

1) We have to register if we prepare at least 1 NY return (same as last year)

2) Pay $100 if we prepared 10 NY returns or more in 2013 and will do at least 1 NY return in 2014

OR will prepare 10 or more NY returns in 2014.

So In Jack's situation if he did 6 in 2013 and will do another 6 in 2014 I say he does not have to pay $100. But if he does 10 or more in 2014 he has to pay.

Anyone disagree?

• Like 1

TAX PREPARERS EXCLUDE:

•currently licensed Certified Public Accountants (CPA) or Public Accountants (PA)

•enrolled agents

•attorneys currently licensed to practice law

•employees of a CPA, PA, enrolled agent, or law firm who prepare tax returns under the direct supervision of a CPA, PA, enrolled agent, or attorney of that firm

•employees of a business who prepare that business’s return or report

•clerical employees

•volunteer tax preparers

TAX PREPARERS EXCLUDE:

•currently licensed Certified Public Accountants (CPA) or Public Accountants (PA)

•enrolled agents

•attorneys currently licensed to practice law

•employees of a CPA, PA, enrolled agent, or law firm who prepare tax returns under the direct supervision of a CPA, PA, enrolled agent, or attorney of that firm

•employees of a business who prepare that business’s return or report

clerical employees

•volunteer tax preparers

I'm a clerical employee. I am the owner, clerk, and janitor in my business. Sometimes I am also the maintenance man.

• Like 1