ATX Community

Health insurance for S-corp SH

imjulier

You are correct.

Health insurance premiums paid on behalf of the greater than two percent S corporation shareholder-employee are deductible and reportable by the S corporation as wages for income tax withholding purposes on the shareholder-employee’s Form W-2.

These benefits are not subject to Social Security or Medicare (FICA) or Unemployment (FUTA) taxes. The additional compensation is included in Box 1 (Wages) of the Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, issued to the shareholder-employee, but would not be included in Boxes 3 and 5 of Form W-2.

• 1 month later...

I have another twist, but I don't know if it matters who the check is paid to. My new client, 100% shareholder in an S corp has to reimburse his ex-wife for his kid's health insurance that is paid by her employer. It is group health taken out of her check. I am sure that it is pre-tax, because it's a large bank.
Is he able to write the check to his ex out of the corporation and add it to his W2? Maybe I am just thinking about it too hard, but with the new changes from the ACA, I don't want to jump the gun. To make things worse, only one of the kids is allowed on his tax return. Thank you to anyone that chimes in.

I had a very similar situation arise recently.

My client is the 100% owner of an S Corp.

His wife is not an owner and isn't involved in the business.

She has a separate job which provides health insurance for the two of them.

Short Answer: No, the health insurance has to be in the shareholder's name.

Thanks. That was what I told him, but he said his old tax preparer let him. His old tax preparer let him do anything that he wanted and has now passed away so he didn't have to worry about Circ 230. He had all kinds of personal stuff in the corp that I told him is not deductible. He will probably want to find someone new again.

I have another twist, but I don't know if it matters who the check is paid to. My new client, 100% shareholder in an S corp has to reimburse his ex-wife for his kid's health insurance that is paid by her employer. It is group health taken out of her check. I am sure that it is pre-tax, because it's a large bank.

Is he able to write the check to his ex out of the corporation and add it to his W2? Maybe I am just thinking about it too hard, but with the new changes from the ACA, I don't want to jump the gun. To make things worse, only one of the kids is allowed on his tax return. Thank you to anyone that chimes in.

Just some thoughts ----

1/ Is this payable as child support or as alimony --- one is deductible -- one not?

2/ Is he "happy" with ex ---- possibly he might want to know that the "reimbursement" depending on how done would be "income" to her as if health care from a big corp. --- she has already benefited from possibly pre-tax on that amount.

My job is done --- more muddy waters. Have a good season.

• Like 1