ATX Community

Student Loan

Kate

I have a student loan from when I went to collage and grauated in 2006..I have not paid anything on it..because I have not really had a steady job..My jobs have been all seasonal work..so my loan had be defered in 2006..and now it is in forbearance until July of 2008..I owe over $6000.00..Can I cliam anything on this?

Thanks

Kate

You claimed it when you went to school, right? If you didn't make any money, whoever claimed your exception could have used it when you went to school. Even if you pay now, you will not be able to deduct it. You might be able to deduct the interest on student loan on the year you fork out the money to pay the interest.

I have a student loan from when I went to collage and grauated in 2006..I have not paid anything on it..because I have not really had a steady job..My jobs have been all seasonal work..so my loan had be defered in 2006..and now it is in forbearance until July of 2008..I owe over $6000.00..Can I cliam anything on this?

Thanks

Kate

You could claim IGNORANCE for majoring in something at college that didn't

prepare you for a good-paying job (e.g. English Lit, General Studies).

Booger