ATX Community

Switched back to ATX from Drake for 2013

LML

I hope I haven't made the mistake of my career by switching back to ATX this year. There were just too many things I didn't like about Drake last year (other than customer support), and, after evaluating ATX for 2013 for the past week or so, getting input from Jack, and reading others' comments about their experiences, I decided to come back.

I sent in my refund request to Drake for the 2013 software on 12/31/13. I had a straggler 2012 corporate tax return that I finished up today & tried to e-file it on Drake. It gives me a message that authentication failed. Guess I will file a paper return, as IRS has apparently closed business filing for the 2012 season (?). Or has Drake blocked me from e-filing? I tried going in to the Drake support forum & they have blocked my account by flagging it as "inactive".

I called Drake & they said that since the 2013 program is now available for download, they have blocked my access to the Drake site. I told them that I paid for the 2012 software & should have continuing access to the support forums, etc., on the site. Does this mean I won't receive any future updates to the 2012 software as well? I can still access the ATX site for all years other than 2012. Why can't Drake block my access to the 2013 software (just like I couldn't access programs prior to 2012) but not make my account inactive?

I am really ticked about this.

Your situation is not unique to Drake's software. All of the vendors do that, including CCH with ATX. I used ATX since the beginning and up until 2012. I paid for it, received it, and then requested a refund on 2/28/13 for the 2012 tax year, and I was cut off from their server within a matter of days. I still have each year's archive disks and installation codes, and I even still have 2009 through 2012 on this computer that I'm using, so I could use to produce paper returns and amended returns if I need to, but I no longer have access to the server for efiling through ATX or to download any updates from them.

If you were using the 2012 program regularly, you should have the most up-to-date version on your machine, and there won't be any more updates to the 2012. Drake does have a download available for the 2012 archive version, but if you didn't download that before being cut off, you can't get to that now, but you could create a backup of the program that is currently on your computer.

According to my program, the version is P2.1.7.2013.88, and the last 1040 program update was #88 on 11/15/13. Here are the others:

1120, #32 on 11/5/13

1120S, #24 on 8/26/13

1065, #28 on 8/6/13

1041, #13 on 6/27/13

990, #16 on 11/15/13

706, #4 on 6/6/13

Gift, #1 on 2/6/13

From that, if you've opened and updated the program after 11/15/13, you should have all of the updates.

I second jklcpa. I the last ATX I had was 2011. I don't think I can e-file a 2011 return in 2014 with ATX because I did not renew 2012 or 2013. It is paper filing!

Since you have gone back to ATX, perhaps they will give you 2012 on a complimentary basis, or charge you 1 PPR for that e-file.

I didn't have that experience at all with ATX. I was able to log in, even after I cancelled the 2012 software & got a refund. Now that I'm back, when I log in, I see under "My Products" 2013, 2011, 2010 & 2009 with activation codes for those years. Nothing for 2012, which is as it should be.

I had to look at a 2012 return in Drake today & it said updates were available. The software did update, so I guess I at least still have that functionality. I just don't know why Drake can't do what ATX is doing (at least for my account) and still give me access to the year(s) that I PAID for.

LML, to be totally clear about this, when I said "cut off from the server, I meant the ability to update the program and efile through the ATX system. I was able to log on to the ATX site and do everything EXCEPT PROGRAM UPDATES OR EFILE, even after the refund. I was only just now finally cut off from the official forum about a week ago, but even now I am still able to log in and see all of my prior year programs, access codes, and the efile database for all the other years it is available.

What you complained about was not being able to efile a return through Drake's server or access updates for a program that you received a refund for, and my response still stands that all of the vendors do that. You entered a contract with Drake when you purchased and paid for the program, and when you requested and received your refund, your agreement with them, and them with you, came to an end.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't trying to access Drake 2013 software, which I did cancel. I was upset about being blocked from accessing 2012 software, which I DID pay for.

I did receive a refund from Drake for the 2013 software, no questions asked.

But after several phone calls to ATX today, being on hold for a LONG time, not getting an answer during a chat support session & not hearing back on a couple of emails to my ATX rep, I am beginning to question my decision to go back to ATX..... Come on, ATX, don't do this to us!!

• 4 weeks later...

Drake's support alone makes the software worth the price. Phone calls answered within 3 rings and tech that actually has answers.

And for the first time in 15 years I am knocking out returns as fast as I did before I started using ATX. Roughly in 1/4 to 1/3 of the time of ATX before 2012!

Sometimes fate works in funny ways. I might never had switched, had ATX not messed up its software and seen the Grass is Greener on the other side.

• Like 2

Drake and I have become friends. I feel good at the end of each day. I know my program will open quickly, work smoothly and give me no trouble! Wow! Once I accepted that it was time for a change and I settled into a routine,

I am actually able to concentrate on my clients and their taxes. Nice not to have a knot in my stomach from the stress of wondering what ATX would do / or not do next.

Support is quick to answer and very helpful. I am finishing returns in much less time than I have in years. I didn't realize how slow ATX had become. I agree with ATX Master. Glad I am using Drake.

All forms are available so far, efile works smoothly, updates are no problem. No special configurations needed in my computer system.. Printing is quick and easy.

I edited the client letter and it works like a dream. I keep finding new handy features in Drake the more I work with it.

I was very comfortable with ATX, I knew how to get things done and I dreaded the thought of having to learn a new program. I stressed about it last summer and fall, but once I made my final decision and moved forward

everything fell into place.

Hope you all have a great season whichever software you have chosen.

Taxtrio

Pam

• Like 3

I too am committed to Drake, for exactly the same reasons as Joel & Pam. Tax software needs to be fast, reliable, and smooth. Wasting a lot of time & money worrying with special hardware, compex configurations, and all the techie stuff may apppeal to some people. But for me personally, I just want the software to do its job efficiently so I can concentrate on the real task of client tax service & advice.

One should not need a NASA-grade computer sysem to perform the basic math functions needed for a tax program. And it should never be necesary to wait for the program to perform the simple tasks involved in tax preparation.

• Like 2

Me too! I'm loving the ease and speed of everything in Drake. I'm looking forward to a stress-free season. Drake has allowed me to easily upgrade and accomplish several new time and expense savings for this year. I am using the DDM to launch my new scanner to scan & save all client's documents (much faster than standing at the copier), saving all prepared returns, signature forms and workpapers there also, and the DDM sets up the file structure automatically! I am going totally paperless this year for the 1040s. It's great that the program automatically password protects the returns in a standardized fashion. I've already received data and sent returns totally electronically without having to meet with the clients too.

Two other new additions for me this year are accepting payments through Paypal and my locking drop box for clients not needing or wanting a meeting to leave their documents and records for me in a secure place.

No wonder everyone on the Drake forum is so happy and helpful! :)

• Like 2

>>No wonder everyone on the Drake forum is so happy and helpful!<< I have a very small practice and moving towards retirement. Every year I attend a seminar where Drake has a booth and they have worked to convert me. I should have listened sooner. Tax software is a tool for me to use to aid in my profession. When a tool is broken, you throw it away and buy a new one. I am over joyed "it broke."

• Like 2