ATX Community

Corp Extensions in Drake

JohnH

Last year I decided not to do the conversion when I began using Drake. I just entered everything fresh for all personal and business clients. So today was my first experience doing corporate extensions using an established data base.

What a breeze! I would just enter the Fed ID number, answer a question, open the client, and away I went. Fed extensions required 3 entries. NC extensions required 4 or 5. Using the "Selector Box" made navigation extremely simple. Then a click on "view" and I printed Fed & State after a couple of more keystrokes. While It's printing, I'm opening the next client. This program is fast, as we have pointed out many times before. I also saw a way to automate the process with a couple of macros - might just do that next year.

So in the space of about 2 hours, I have about 24 extensions completed. There are a few stragglers, but the task is basically done. Don't know of a time in the past when it was ever so easy or fast.

• Like 2

Yep, I'm going out of the country for a couple of weeks and didn't want to have to deal with extensions when I get back.

I'll only have a few left to prepare when I return, thanks to Drake's efficiency.

It will be difficult enough dealing with personal returns those first few weeks - no sense having the corp extensions hanging over my head and occupying a part of my brain. There's little enough room up there as it is.

I will add that filing extensions is not something I do in a reactive mode. Extensions are a part of my operating plan, so I generally get them done fairly early anyhow (personal and corporate). If we file the extension and the client happens to get everything to me on time, there's no harm done if we decide to go ahead and file by the due date. What I detest is filing extensions in a last-minute panic - that's where most of the errors occur and it isn't good for the blood pressure.