ATX Community

Me and my big mouth....I think I told someone I could handle a CA RE sale

Karen Lee

Have a client that lives here in Washington State but have a piece of property in CA that was given them by a relative. It is being sold so I can only assume that there would be a CA tax return that needs to be done.

Is there anyone out there that would like to either help me or have me refer them to you for the CA portion? They will be here in about an hour.

Thanks

Karen

I can only assume that there would be a CA tax return that needs to be done.

Yes, it is definitely taxable to California. The rules are probably the same as federal (unless there's a reason to adjust California basis, such as an energy credit). There is no tax break for capital gains rates, so prepare your client for a shock as California hits her at the highest rate for her world-wide income, probably about 10%. Also, California will withhold a big chunk--3.3% of sales price unless she calculates and declares a lesser gain amount before signing off.

Your software should do Form 540NR with little trouble. You won't have to register in California to e-file from Washington.

Yes, it is definitely taxable to California. The rules are probably the same as federal (unless there's a reason to adjust California basis, such as an energy credit). There is no tax break for capital gains rates, so prepare your client for a shock as California hits her at the highest rate for her world-wide income, probably about 10%. Also, California will withhold a big chunk--3.3% of sales price unless she calculates and declares a lesser gain amount before signing off.

Your software should do Form 540NR with little trouble. You won't have to register in California to e-file from Washington.

Thank you for the info. Very helpful.

There doesn't seem to be a problem here since the house was built by one of the giftees and the land purchased immediately prior to construction.

In that case you DO have a problem, which I already mentioned. It sounds like she will have little taxable gain, but she still faces a huge withholding anyway. It's based on sale price. She needs to contact her escrow officer about making an election, and there are still plenty of escrow officers who have their own procedures or just plain don't know how it works. Meanwhile you need to get her records and accurately calculate her gain. Here is a general link that will refer you to more detail and forms. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/wsc/California_Real_Estate.shtml

• Like 1

In that case you DO have a problem, which I already mentioned. It sounds like she will have little taxable gain, but she still faces a huge withholding anyway. It's based on sale price. She needs to contact her escrow officer about making an election, and there are still plenty of escrow officers who have their own procedures or just plain don't know how it works. Meanwhile you need to get her records and accurately calculate her gain. Here is a general link that will refer you to more detail and forms. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/wsc/California_Real_Estate.shtml

Have a 2014 593-E in front of me with Withholding Amount calculated.

• Like 1