ATX Community

i did not know it took 45 days. anyone want to help meer out?

The Kidd

I did not know it would take 45 days to obtain an efin number.

1. Can I still submit them by mail?

2. Is there any way I can efile?

- I have it being processed. And the IRS says they have everything that is required, but it will take 45 days.

3. By chance would any one let me pay them to use their efin # until i get mine?

As soon as the mods get my report, you will most likely be banned. This board and its members do NOT support, allow or tolerate any mention of intentionally breaking IRS rules.

how is the breaking laws?

Because I asked if another preparer could efile for me?

The IRS even mentioned another preparer can do this for you. Chill down bro.

I did not know it would take 45 days to obtain an efin number.

1. Can I still submit them by mail?

2. Is there any way I can efile?

- I have it being processed. And the IRS says they have everything that is required, but it will take 45 days.

3. By chance would any one let me pay them to use their efin # until i get mine?

I don't think I misread. You did not ask for another preparer to e-file for you. Pardon me for simply reading what you posted.

I don't think I misread. You did not ask for another preparer to e-file for you. Pardon me for simply reading what you posted.

yeah because I would want to pay them for allowing me.

Sorry but i grew up if I use something of someones, then i feel they should be paid. Like a imcovience fee.

Sorry but I'm not seeing your point in trying to jump down my throat. As i stated, i was only asking this because the IRS agent brought it to my attention.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal.

You are not allowed to use another person's EFIN. Another ERO would have to be willing to transmit the returns for you with their name as the ERO and associated EFIN. They have to match. You would also have a disclosure problem if you transmit, or in any fashion, give clients' returns to another preparer to act as the ERO without a signed release from each client.

Here's something from the IRS that might clarify: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Electronic-Return-Originator

Electronic Return Originator

An Electronic Return Originator (ERO) is the Authorized IRS e-file Provider that originates the electronic submission of a return to the IRS. The ERO is usually the first point of contact for most taxpayers filing a return using IRS e-file.

The Origination of an Electronic Return

Although an ERO may also engage in return preparation, that activity is separate and different from the origination of the electronic submission of the return to the IRS. An ERO originates the electronic submission of a return after the taxpayer authorizes the filing of the return via IRS e-file. An ERO must originate the electronic submission of only returns that the ERO either prepared or collected from a taxpayer. An ERO originates the electronic submission by either of the following:

Electronically sending the return to a Transmitter that will transmit the return to the IRS
Directly transmitting the return to the IRS
Providing a return to an Intermediate Service Provider for processing prior to transmission to the IRS

In originating the electronic submission of a return, the ERO has a variety of responsibilities, including, but not limited to the following:

Timely originating the electronic submission of returns
Submitting any required supporting paper documents to the IRS
Providing copies to taxpayers
Retaining records and making records available to the IRS
Accepting returns only from taxpayers and Providers
Having only one EFIN for the same firm for use at one location, unless the IRS issued more than one EFIN to the firm for the same location. For this purpose, the business entity is generally the entity that reports on its return the income derived from electronic filing. The IRS may issue more than one EFIN to accommodate a high volume of returns, or as it determines appropriate.

An ERO must clearly display the firm’s “doing business as” name at all locations and sites including Web sites at which the ERO or a third party obtains information from taxpayers for electronic origination of returns by the ERO.

• Like 1

You are not allowed to use another person's EFIN. Another ERO would have to be willing to transmit the returns for you with their name as the ERO and associated EFIN. They have to match. You would also have a disclosure problem if you transmit, or in any fashion, give clients' returns to another preparer to act as the ERO without a signed release from each client.

Here's something from the IRS that might clarify: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Electronic-Return-Originator

Electronic Return Originator

An Electronic Return Originator (ERO) is the Authorized IRS e-file Provider that originates the electronic submission of a return to the IRS. The ERO is usually the first point of contact for most taxpayers filing a return using IRS e-file.

The Origination of an Electronic Return

Although an ERO may also engage in return preparation, that activity is separate and different from the origination of the electronic submission of the return to the IRS. An ERO originates the electronic submission of a return after the taxpayer authorizes the filing of the return via IRS e-file. An ERO must originate the electronic submission of only returns that the ERO either prepared or collected from a taxpayer. An ERO originates the electronic submission by either of the following:

Electronically sending the return to a Transmitter that will transmit the return to the IRS

Directly transmitting the return to the IRS

Providing a return to an Intermediate Service Provider for processing prior to transmission to the IRS

In originating the electronic submission of a return, the ERO has a variety of responsibilities, including, but not limited to the following:

Timely originating the electronic submission of returns

Submitting any required supporting paper documents to the IRS

Providing copies to taxpayers

Retaining records and making records available to the IRS

Accepting returns only from taxpayers and Providers

Having only one EFIN for the same firm for use at one location, unless the IRS issued more than one EFIN to the firm for the same location. For this purpose, the business entity is generally the entity that reports on its return the income derived from electronic filing. The IRS may issue more than one EFIN to accommodate a high volume of returns, or as it determines appropriate.

An ERO must clearly display the firm’s “doing business as” name at all locations and sites including Web sites at which the ERO or a third party obtains information from taxpayers for electronic origination of returns by the ERO.

Thanks for clarifying. I really thought nothing of it, and the agent at the E-help line was the one who told me to ask another firm if they would allow me to Efile some of my clients with them.

I know some agents do not have a clue what they are talking about and some do. and aparently I had one today that was telling me something very very wrong.

Thank you.

by chance do you know how this will affect me submitting it by mail? if it would cause a problem.

I don't think the IRS was entirely wrong. It is possible for an ERO to e-file a return for a taxpayer, but that ERO would have to either prepare the return as a paid preparer, or receive the return directly from the taxpayer and be willing to e-file it. I personally don't know any EROs that do that; I know I wouldn't. First, I don't have time to input a return that someone else has prepared that isn't in my system, and second, I don't want my name associated in any way with a return that I didn't prepare myself for someone that isn't my client. It would be possible for an ERO to efile your returns if you are associated with their office as a preparer.

I don't understand your question about "submitting in by mail? if it would cause a problem." Are you asking about your application to be an ERO, or are you asking about preparing returns for your clients to file by mailing in paper returns?

I don't think the IRS was entirely wrong. It is possible for an ERO to e-file a return for a taxpayer, but that ERO would have to either prepare the return as a paid preparer, or receive the return directly from the taxpayer and be willing to e-file it. I personally don't know any EROs that do that; I know I wouldn't. First, I don't have time to input a return that someone else has prepared that isn't in my system, and second, I don't want my name associated in any way with a return that I didn't prepare myself for someone that isn't my client. It would be possible for an ERO to efile your returns if you are associated with their office as a preparer.

I don't understand your question about "submitting in by mail? if it would cause a problem." Are you asking about your application to be an ERO, or are you asking about preparing returns for your clients to file by mailing in paper returns?

Yes, I am asking about filing for the clients.

I had just seen some people say that you cannot mail if you do over 11 tax returns. And then I seen some say that I should file an 8948 with it.

Or, you can develop a relationship with an ERO who would be willing to e-file your clients' returns. When I worked at Block, taxpayers brought in returns prepared elsewhere for us to e-file. We charged them, of course, and could NOT e-file if there was an error as we had to match exactly the paper return signed by the preparer and client. Follow all IRS procedures if you do this.

Or, you can give your clients paper returns to mail. (I still have a couple of clients who refuse to e-file. But I do NOT mail the returns; I only prepare the returns for those clients to file.) Follow all IRS procedures if you do this.

Or, you could wait for your efin.

"yeah because I would want to pay them for allowing me."

No! No reputable ERO will ALLOW you to use his efin. Their relationship has to be with the taxPAYER, as the IRS agent explained to you quite correctly. Your clients are free to take their paper returns prepared by you to an ERO to e-file for them or to the USPS to mail.

By chance would any one let me pay them to use their efin # until i get mine?

That's an awkward way to put it, but I don't view it as harshly as earlier answers. You can affiliate with another office that is already set up with an EFIN (hopefully using the same software). Ask the efile help desk for clarification of your disclosure requirements for transferring the return.

• Like 2

Yes, I am asking about filing for the clients.

I had just seen some people say that you cannot mail if you do over 11 tax returns. And then I seen some say that I should file an 8948 with it.

You can paper file if the client wants it filed that way. And, if you find an ERO that is willing to efile your returns, you can let them efile for you. What you can not do is to just use someone else's EFIN.

That's an awkward way to put it, but I don't view it as harshly as earlier answers. You can affiliate with another office that is already set up with an EFIN (hopefully using the same software). Ask the efile help desk for clarification of your disclosure requirements for transferring the return.

That is basically how I was saying it. sorry for the confusion.

Can't believe someone would go as far as wanting to report me for it. but oh well.

Tax Professionals are pretty sensitive to any suggestion that we would support breaking the law. The way you worded it, that's what it sounded like you were asking to do. We work hard to get our clients the best possible outcome, WITHIN THE LAW, but even when we think the law is stupid or unfair, we stay within it.