ATX Community

Refund Information

Dan

Is there a place you can go to that shows after you efile a return and it is accepted that customers can know when they will receive their refund? I have gone to the IRS web site and worked with the link; Where's my refund? When I click that link up pops a box about dangers of visiting the sight. Is it good to visit that link? In other years we had some source to find out this information. The ATX program also has a source where you can see if a return has been accepted. I like that improvement in the software.

Let me know if there is such a source.

Thanks!

Is there a place you can go to that shows after you efile a return and it is accepted that customers can know when they will receive their refund? I have gone to the IRS web site and worked with the link; Where's my refund? When I click that link up pops a box about dangers of visiting the sight. Is it good to visit that link? In other years we had some source to find out this information. The ATX program also has a source where you can see if a return has been accepted. I like that improvement in the software.

Let me know if there is such a source.

Thanks!

The last year that the refund cycle chart was available was in 2011 The Where's My Refund link provided by the IRS does give some limited information. The date it gives for the refund is only an approximation. The pop up box has been there for years and is only a warning that the person is using an official government site. It says this, and shouldn't scare clients off from using it:

THIS U.S. GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IS FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY!

Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring, interception, recording, reading,

copying or capturing by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy in

this system. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and subject to criminal and civil

penalties, including all penalties applicable to willful unauthorized access (UNAX) or

inspection of taxpayer records (under 18 U.S.C. 1030 and 26 U.S.C. 7213A and 26 U.S.C.

7431).

The site says to wait at least 24 hours after the return has been e-filed (or 4 weeks if paper filed) before checking and that it is only updated once a day, so checking more than once a day won't yield different information. When your clients ask you, or later calls you about their refund, direct them to the IRS site and the link to Where's My Refund because it's the only place to get any information about it.

This afternoon I helped my sister check on the status of her refund. The site showed the date her e-filed return was received, that the refund was approved, and the approximate date that it might be direct deposited which happened to be next Tuesday.

My state has a similar link on the Division of Revenue's website to check on the status of refunds. I'm not sure where you are located, so be sure to check your state's official site so that you may direct clients there.

• Like 1

Same here, though my Client letter explains where they can go to check on status of both Federal and State refunds. Saves me a lot of time as they used to call and foolish me would drop what I was doing and go check it for them. Now, I just tell them to read the directions in their letter.

• Like 1