ATX Community

Rounding of Numbers

Yardley CPA

Not sure if this topic has been discussed or not? Past ATX additions allowed you to input numbers (including cents) and it would automatically round the number for you. I now notice that when entering numbers on certain forms (8949) I receive an error message that does not allow entering of cents. Is there a way to inform the program to round automatically, allowing cents to be entered?

Not sure if this topic has been discussed or not? Past ATX additions allowed you to input numbers (including cents) and it would automatically round the number for you. I now notice that when entering numbers on certain forms (8949) I receive an error message that does not allow entering of cents. Is there a way to inform the program to round automatically, allowing cents to be entered?

No setting ---- the number of letters, numbers, rounding, etc. for all data entries are set by whichever programmer section wrote the code for the form. Therefore it would be a request to CCH/ATX to have their programmers do the "rounding" coding. Which by the way, is unfortunately done differently by whichever programmer writes that particular form. --- can be seen in many of the "date" fields on the forms ---- some allow just a day and month and will self fill --- others require day, month, year or you get an edit error --- some require a two digit day or month, some do not ---- depends on the program coder.

Yardley, no setting exists that allows you to enter cents and have the program round for you. If some areas of the program are still allowing you to enter dollars and cents, I suppose you could continue on as you've done in the past and correcting those areas that are generating the error messages. It seems to me that you'd be better off being consistent by making all of your data entry in whole numbers though.

For me and what I am used to, It just would flow much more easily if we were able to enter the data exactly as its reflected on the forms we receive. In the past, the ATX program allowed you to enter the numbers exactly as they are presented on the W2's, 1099's etc, there was no interpretation involved. The program would then round the numbers automatically. I recognize I can manually data enter whole numbers. It just seems odd that the program (at least on some of the forms) does not round automatically.