ATX Community

Presidents' Day & Due Dates

Lion EA

WIth kids grown/out of school, hubby retired from teaching, and calendars still on January 'cause I've been sick, I just realized next Monday is Presidents' Day! That's a national holiday, right? I have a fiscal year Form 990 due 15 April, which is a Saturday. Is it due TUESDAY 18 February?

I just wasn't sure Presidents' Day is a LEGAL HOLIDAY giving me until Tuesday. I mean I've always worked that day, no matter who I worked for. I guess the schools are off, but they always schedule long weekends during the winter for any reason, to get the snow cleared, to air out the germs from the classrooms, so kids can get well, so families can go skiing without pulling their kids out of school, so the teachers don't get cabin fever trapped inside during gray, short days....

I just wasn't sure Presidents' Day is a LEGAL HOLIDAY

Good point. There actually aren't ANY "legal holidays" as such. It's strictly a state thing--each can choose whether to adopt federal holidays. Anyway, President's Day was never a federal holiday to begin with, and still isn't. Now, Washington's Birthday is a federal holiday on the 3rd Monday of February. I suggest you try to get your form in by this Friday.

Thank you all. I'll do what I can. (Still fighting a sinus infection; priest afraid to drive in snow so I'm leading morning prayer Sunday instead of being just a chalicist so gotta work on readings and a homily; Wednesday biz client wants his info Wednesday for his personal returns; Thursday biz client wants her info Thursday for her personal returns; and hubby wants to go out for a Valentine's dinner.) But might end up having director sign and mail Tuesday. With the POs closed, I'm going to hope the Feds consider Monday a holiday. I'll reduce next year's fee by any penalty they pay. Or not. I already give them a 50% nonprofit discount. Let them wait !! (And, hubby too; I've already postponed Valentine's Day from his suggested Thursday to Sunday and now want to wait until the following weekend. So hard to be romantic during tax season!)

Is the PO open Monday?

I grew up in IL where we celebrated Lincoln's birthday, even after the combined Lincoln/Washington Presidents' Day started being THE February holiday!

In Texas we used to have a state holiday for Jefferson Davis' birthday and for Robert E. Lee's birthday. When I was a state employee, I got off on those days.

I think that federal holidays are the same day that the post offices are closed, so you should be good until Tuesday. I hope you feel better soon. It is hard enough to be miserable when you can just lay around the house in your jammies - when you have to go in to work because you just can't let your clients down this time of year, it is MISERABLE!

• Like 1

It's piling on today. DIscovered my stepdaughter emailed me her docs at the end of Jan before I was sick, and I never moved them to my clients' folder and forgot about her! Biz client who usually files personal returns after 15 March is going out of town so needs his biz returns and K-1s by 26 Feb. Nice couple in FL each winter usually files near 15 April is going to Europe 11 March and needs returns earlier. A client needs me to go to her house to notarize her father's signature as he's getting too frail to leave the house. I have a doctor's appointment in a few minutes. Another client wants to discuss her new biz venture as she's starting it up NOW.