ATX Community

Form 2555-may be ATX issue?

Margaret CPA in OH

Clients in Australia both have earnings in 2013, just one in 2012. Filed smoothly for 2012. For 2013 I get an error message "The SSN on the second Form 2555 MUST be entered, and MUST match the spouse's SSN." If followed exactly, then the filer would have 2 Forms 2555 not one for filer and spouse, right?

When I click on the field it takes me to the data sheet showing both SSN's but what is shown on the second form matches the person's ssn, not the other one's. Any ideas?

Hmm, these have been rolled over since 2003. But I did as you suggested anyway with no change. I deleted the second 2555 and input data on the FECWKST and reentered. No change. The SSN on the second form is entered, I see it in the box. It, of course, does not match the spouse because it belongs to the filer whose Form 2555 this is.

Other ideas? It would be a nuisance to have to paper file when efile should go just fine...but for this.

Thanks for suggestions!

Try putting the spouse's SSN on the second 2555. If it were a Sch C for the spouse, it would have the SSN of the spouse and not the taxpayer. Perhaps the only way to get two 2555's on the same return is to use the filer's SSN for one and the spouse's SSN for the other to show that they both have foreign source income. Just guessing - I have not had this situation.

I would have to override the ssn on the form and the filer's name would then not match the ssn. The each do have foreign source income hence the need for two 2555's, one for each. For the filer, I have checked the box for filer and the name and ssn carry over. For the spouse, I have checked the box for spouse and the name and ssn carry over. But the message says the second 2555 (in this case for the filer) must match that of the spouse. It has been entered but carried over from the data entry.

As noted, I have deleted the second 2555 and reentered all data with no effect. Next option, delete both and re-enter all the data, not my favorite thing but....

Thanks for suggestions. If the total redo doesn't work, I will configure my schedule to be on hold for a while :)