ATX Community

Inputting Partial Wash Sale on ATX

Yardley CPA

Can someone provide some assistance. I received a 1099B showing a short term sale of stock as follows:

- Proceeds $5000

- Cost Basis $5324

- Wash Sale Loss Disallowed $276

- Not Reported to IRS - -48

- Cost basis adjustment indicator - W

How is this input on the 8949 input screen? Is the initial Transaction Type a 1, followed by a W on line (f)? What would the amount of the adjustment be?

I never came across this before. Thanks!

I want to bump up this post. What I do is to open form 1099B and enter the numbers. As you can see you will have no gain and no loss on this transaction. For testing purposes I would enter proceeds as 6K and see the end result and then I would enter the Proceeds as 4k and also see the results.

On the form 8949, I would show $5000 as proceeds in col d, 5324 as basis in col e, code "w" in col f, the disallowed loss of $276 as a positive number in col g, and the resulting loss that wasn't disallowed of ($48) should end up as the result in col h.

To me it look like the "not reported to IRS" means that this was a security where basis was not reported to IRS and should have box B checked. Is that correct?