ATX Community

Efile rejection error

ajuroff

Dependent child's date of birth is 12/24/1991. (Makes her 16 at end of 2007 tax year) Efile will not go through, with the rejection

saying that tax payers can not take the child tax credit for this child. Am I missing something?

A dependent child under the age of 17 would be one who was born in 1991. Is it possible that someone has already claimed the child? Check the "Federal Reject History" under "myATX"....it gives a better picture of what's wrong with the rejected return.

Cathy

I took your advise from yesterday and did just that earlier this morning. :) It is telling me the first dependent on the return can not be used for the child tax credit. It's not saying the child was claimed on another return. And I have double and triple checked the SS number, spelling of the name and birthdate. I'm just not getting it.

I took your advise from yesterday and did just that earlier this morning. :) It is telling me the first dependent on the return can not be used for the child tax credit. It's not saying the child was claimed on another return. And I have double and triple checked the SS number, spelling of the name and birthdate. I'm just not getting it.

There are conditions other than age that would bring up the error message such as the "citizen" box isn't checked, the relationship isn't on the allowed list, et cetera. Check the other fields for the dependent.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc606.html

"A child is your qualifying child if the child:

Is a citizen, resident, or national of the United States,

Is under age 17 at the end of the calendar year in which your tax year begins,

Is your son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, legally adopted child (or a child lawfully placed with you for legal adoption), brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, foster child placed with you by an authorized placement agency or by a court order, or a descendant of any such person,

Shares with you the same principal place of abode for more than one-half of the tax year, or is treated as your qualifying child under the special rule for parents who are divorced, separated, or living apart, and

Is not treated as the qualifying child of another taxpayer under the special rule for two or more taxpayers claiming a qualifying child or the special rule for parents who are divorced, separated, or living apart. "

Dependent child's date of birth is 12/24/1991. (Makes her 16 at end of 2007 tax year) Efile will not go through, with the rejection

saying that tax payers can not take the child tax credit for this child. Am I missing something?

Have the parents check with SS to see what birthdate is on file. The IRS has been sporadic about verifying birthdates, but they do it sometimes.

I had a client find out he was 2 years closer to retirement with this same error. The first time he ever e-filed, we got the mismatch error. Looked up his Birth Certificate, and POOF!, he went from 59 to 61, and the e-file got accepted.

On the Dependents Screen (in the 1040) is the box checked for "Qualifies for Child Tax Credit"? It should be, based on what you are stating....If not, check it and try again

Yep JB, that was checked too. BUT, I found out the problem, and I can't believe it. I called the clients and discussed the issue with them. I asked the Dad again - what is so-and-so's birthdate? He told me what I have (and have had on file for MANY years) I heard the Mom in the background say, "no it's not, she was born in 1990"! I received these clients many years ago from another preparer. When they first came to me, they brought me a page with copies of the children's SS cards and their birthdates written next to them. As a new child was born, I would take a copy of the SS card and write the birthday next to it and put it with the others in their file. So, for close to 10 years, this return has been filed with the wrong birthdate for the child and has never been caught. (and I don't know how long they went to the prior preparer but I do know the last year they went to her/him, she/he filed it with the wrong birthdate) The parents never noticed on the paper they gave me that it had the wrong birthdate. (maybe Dad wrote it and Mom didn't notice) I never questioned it and it has always went through. Until this year, now that the child is 17. No CTC! I can't even believe that this has happened for this many years and never been caught.

Child Tax Credit is relatively new, EIC would qualify regardless because he was under 19. Year-born would make a difference this year because he already turned 17. I wonder if the first year you e-file, the return was conditionally accepted and after reviewing it, the IRS decided that it would NOT make any difference if the child was born in 91 or 90 and therefore the refund was issued.