ATX Community

SpouseNameControlTxt reject

PaulH

I filed husband and wife MFS returns. The husband was accepted. The wife was rejected (error R0000-503-01 - SpouseSSN or Spouse NameControlTxt must match e-file database), even though the spouse's name and SSN on her return match what was on the husband's accepted return. I've restored all 9 fields that are typically associated with this error and re-entered the husband's information, but it still gets rejected. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

I filed husband and wife MFS returns. The husband was accepted. The wife was rejected (error R0000-503-01 - SpouseSSN or Spouse NameControlTxt must match e-file database), even though the spouse's name and SSN match what was on the husband's accepted return. I've restored all 9 fields that are typically associated with this error and re-entered the husband's information, but it still gets rejected. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

It must match EXACTLY what is on her Social Security Card. Visual confirmation is the only way to be sure.

The only part that needs to match is the first 4 characters of the last name. Sometimes people don't know what the last name is in the SSA records though - especially hispanic names with multiple middle and last names. It could also be changed - say you have a SS card with your maiden name of Smith. You get married to Mr. Jones and change your last name to Jones. You should get a new ss card with Jones for the last name but let's say you kept the original showing Smith. That is to say, matching what is on the card won't always fix the reject.

The other thing to check - the reject could be for the name or the SSN. Perhaps the SSN has a typo in it.

The only part that needs to match is the first 4 characters of the last name. Sometimes people don't know what the last name is in the SSA records though - especially hispanic names with multiple middle and last names. It could also be changed - say you have a SS card with your maiden name of Smith. You get married to Mr. Jones and change your last name to Jones. You should get a new ss card with Jones for the last name but let's say you kept the original showing Smith. That is to say, matching what is on the card won't always fix the reject.

The other thing to check - the reject could be for the name or the SSN. Perhaps the SSN has a typo in it.

This has never failed me when I have the name not match reject. Anyone that would use an "old" SS card when you ask them to verify, should paper file anyway.

I think you're missing the point of this thread.....

OP says the name and number are are the same on both returns...but one keeps getting rejected.

That is my question. I guess I will ask to see the social security card, or tell her to paper file hers. I just don't understand why his name and SSN works for his return, but not as the spouse on hers.

I think you're missing the point of this thread.....

OP says the name and number are are the same on both returns...but one keeps getting rejected.

That part is easy enough to understand. The IRS does no checking of name/SSN match for the spouse listed on a MFS tax return unless the taxpayer is claiming the spouse exemption. You don't even need to enter the spouse SSN - the return won't reject for a missing spouse SSN. So the name or SSN could be wrong on both returns but the only one that would be rejected for it is the return for the spouse.

Why don't they validate it? Who knows. Probably they felt they were getting too many rejects for spouse name/SSN mismatch when it really doesn't matter that much on the MFS.

That part is easy enough to understand. The IRS does no checking of name/SSN match for the spouse listed on a MFS tax return

The return that was rejected IS the one where the name/SSN match for the spouse was used on a MFS tax return

That part is easy enough to understand. The IRS does no checking of name/SSN match for the spouse listed on a MFS tax return unless the taxpayer is claiming the spouse exemption. You don't even need to enter the spouse SSN - the return won't reject for a missing spouse SSN. So the name or SSN could be wrong on both returns but the only one that would be rejected for it is the return for the spouse.

Why don't they validate it? Who knows. Probably they felt they were getting too many rejects for spouse name/SSN mismatch when it really doesn't matter that much on the MFS.

Interesting.....however my program won't let you e-file unless the spouse's SS number is there.

But, on a paper return it doesn't show up....just the name is there.

The return that was rejected IS the one where the name/SSN match for the spouse was used on a MFS tax return

You're right, that's a R0000-503. Guess if the spouse SSN is present the name control / SSN do need to match after all. And while removing the spouse SSN would probably work it's not something I'd actually do myself when the spouse SSN is known.

From the IRS site, that error message says 'SpouseSSN' and the 'SpouseNameControlTxt' in the Return Header (or Line 6b 'ExemptSpouseNameControl' in the return -
For 1040/1040A returns) must match the e-File database

From Thomson Reuters, here's some more:

Error Reject Code R0000-503-01: Valid for 1040/A/EZ/SS(PR) - Spouse SSN and the Spouse Name Control in the Return Header must match the e-File database.
Resolution

This is a master file rejection, which means the SSN and name control does not match what the IRS has on their master file. Verify the spouse's SSN and name. If these are correct, then you will have to contact the IRS or file the return on paper.

Note: This normally happens when the spouse just married and has not yet changed her last name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

If the spouse has multiple last names, see Publication 1346, Electronic Return File Specifications and Record Layouts for Individual Tax Returns (Tax Year 2008). Section 7, Formats for Name Controls, Name Lines and Addresses, contains examples and general rules for determining name controls for Hispanic, Asian Pacific, Native American, estates, and hyphenated names.

If you are the tax professional, contact the IRS e-help Desk at 866.255.0654 for assistance. If you are the taxpayer, contact the IRS Accounts Management at 800.829.0922.

If the secondary taxpayer has changed their name but has not notified the SSA, have the taxpayer contact the SSA at 800.772.1213. It may take the SSA up to 10 days to notify the IRS after they have updated their files. Afterward, an electronic return can be resubmitted.

If the SSN and name control continue to reject, a paper return must be filed.

• Like 1

The mystery is solved, and it's pretty embarrassing. Let's call it stupid operator error (you can decide whether "stupid" modifies "operator" or "error"). The exemption for spouse somehow got checked on her return. I don't know how--been doing lots of joint vs separate analysis for OH clients for years, starting with the joint return, duplicating it twice, and deleting the other spouse's information, and it's never happened before. Stared at this for a long time, and didn't see it until I recreated her return from scratch, thinking there must be a corrupted form somewhere.

While there is no excuse, I find it very annoying that ATX will warn me that the spouse's occupation shouldn't be listed on a MFS, the spouse's birthdate shouldn't be listed on a MFS, but it doesn't warn me that the exemption for a spouse can't be taken on a MFS.

And I sure wish ATX would produce a useful MFS vs MFJ comparison so I wouldn't have go through this process in the first place. I know there is a comparison tool, but it is worthless.

Finally, the efile error message was not at all helpful here, though I do understand why it needed to match the efile database, since the exemption does matter.

OK, rant (and excuses) over. Now I have to explain to the client why her refund is $1,000 less than I initially told her.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

If your like me, you start the MFS returns by duplicating the joint return, then modifying to MFS for each spouse....and if like me, you forgot to un-check the exemption for the spouse....

It was nice when ATX added the MFJ/MFS comparison a few years ago...but it would be even nicer if they allowed an automatic "split" of the MFJ return into two MFS returns......but then again, I would complain if ATX had a price tag like some of the packages that do include this feature.

• Like 1