ATX Community

Home Office worksheet doubling depreciation

Kea

I rolled over a return that contained a home office. I went to the 8829 & there was no office info. I went to the new Home Office Expense Worksheet & filled in missing name & start date & clicked to create new office.

When I go back to the 8829, the depreciation is twice as much as it should be. When I go to the Line 41 depreciation tab, there are now 3 entries (after confirming 0 in first step). Office, Building - Office & Land - office. The 1st 2 entries each show the (correct) 2013. But they are getting combined on the form.

Back to the Home office worksheet & there is only one entry. The one on the Line 41 tab of the Form 8829 does not have any "jump to" arrows. Office is not listed in the fixed assets. I can't overwrite any of the Line 41 depreciation on the form or on the tab.

I can't find any other place that would generate these entries. How do I delete the extra? (Yes, I've checked the FAQ and other document in the knowledgebase.)

Thanks

You weren't supposed to create a new one if he office was from prior yr. I don't know why mine has a line thru this post. Maybe a sign its time to go home. I have been working on one return all day long

Edited by kcjenkins
to remove the 'strikeout' that you probably hit by accident.

I thought that I was just adding the missing info (name and start date) to the office info it rolled over. My bad.

Now, how do I delete the extra one?

As for the line through your post, I'm guessing you accidently clicked on the "S" with a line through it icon in the tool bar (top part of the box where you typed the reply).