ATX Community

MFS, no idea if other itemizes

HV Ken

New client, will be filing MFS for 2013. Has no idea if the other person will itemize or not, and seems like they are not even on speaking terms and will be divorcing in 2014.

Seems like there really is no choice but to file client with standard deduction. Just curious - for those who have done this in the past, what has been your experience? Have you seen the client come back later with a letter stating since the other itemized, you have to itemize, so the standard deduction is eliminated and you now owe...???

But, I would ask what he thinks the souses's income is...which should be a good indication of what the spouse does.

Ms Tabby,

Looks like a little Fruedian slip in that spelling... :)

I review what the client might have as total itemized deductions on a joint return, and if there would be enough to itemize, then I itemize. If not, I go Standard Deduction.

Rich

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd take a look at last year's return your client filed with slouch/souse (I know - your client doesn't have a copy - mine wouldn't either) and try to make an educated guess. For example, if there's $12,000 in mortgage interest and slouch/souse is still in the house, etc.

Of course, last year's deductions mean nothing really.

So, I'm gonna waffle and say I'd go with what was best for my client and warn them about what might possibly happen.

And I'm interested too, has anybody had a client to get a letter saying, "Hey, your standard deduction is zero, Skippee"?

Ms Tabby,

Looks like a little Fruedian slip in that spelling... :)

I review what the client might have as total itemized deductions on a joint return, and if there would be enough to itemize, then I itemize. If not, I go Standard Deduction.

Rich

i

Spellcheck slip. :)

You never know what the spouse has as far as deductions...that's why I use income or occupation. If spouse is a file clerk...highly unlikely she will itemize. If spouse is an investment banker ....highly likely she will.

I combine logic with facts...and never had a problem.

I actually do some returns where spouse doesn't have to file (embassy employees )....and I've always used standard deduction for the one filing.

• Like 1