ATX Community

What/how do you charge Amended return and more

mrichman333

You can still have a heart! When you do decide to offer a discount, show them the full rate and clearly identify the discount and the reason. Then if you ever pull the discount (maybe their finances have turned around and they are no longer struggling), it won't be a surprise and you won't hear, wow - your rates really went up.

This is SO RIGHT. It can be a 'New client' discount, a 'Hard Knocks' discount, a 'Thanks for your service' discount [i gave that all the time at 100%], a 'Police' discount, etc, but do bill the return at full price, so that they know the full normal price. It's only fair, since they may refer friends to you, and those will be expecting the same deal.

• Like 2

Just to add:

New Client calls me up on April 14th.

Has not filed for 2012 and needs to do 2013...

Referred to me by an existing client.

This client was using VITA services in the past. So they we not paying anything for the returns. Until they got married. And they said, "Oops, sorry, income to HIGH!"

However, since its the last year for you, here is how 2012 looks... You owe $4,000.

So they do not file...

Now, they are in my office. The VITA folks missed ALOT of potential deductions.

I get the 2012 amount down under $2400, with additional deductions still to come to me that we discussed.

Sounds good right?

So I tell the client that I will charge her $300 for each years returns. Her eyes bugged out.

She was getting it for free, before, right? Guess the fact that you paid $2000 more in tax doesn't count?

We are worth it. So are you. If I don't get at least one angry client every year over fees, I am underpricing myself...

Clients are going to get angry with you. Might as well be due to fees....

Rich

• Like 4

We are worth it. So are you. If I don't get at least one angry client every year over fees, I am underpricing myself...

Clients are going to get angry with you. Might as well be due to fees....

Rich

Reminds me of a quote I once heard about pricing - if your clients aren't complaining about your price, you are not charging enough.

• Like 1