ATX Community

Trucker lingo

ILLMAS

I have no experience with OTR truckers, and I've been holding off on working a new client and I wanted to see if forum members with experience can assist me through my journey. Here is brief scenario and then I will post my questions.

TP was an employee for the first three months in 2013, bought a truck and became a subcontractor for the rest of the year. He drove approx. 150K miles and earned 182K, the company deducted operating expenses like fuel, lodging, maintenance, tolls etc... After all these deductions he only earned about 70K, then from that 70K he had to pay insurance, part of meals, telephone, truck washed, truck note (interest portion), which was another 15K leaving him with 55K profit/take home.

Now here are my questions:

1. Since he was paid by miles driven, does this industry qualify for the mileage deduction, might be a dumb question but I have to ask.

2. When you capitalize the truck, do you enter the expenses on the auto expense tab?

3. How does the meal per diem work for this industry?

4. Anything else I should be looking for or asking?

Thanks

MAS

Mas, It's been many years since I had an OTR trucker as a client. I recall that it involved several accounting details.

Although, here are some sources that you may find useful.

http://www.bigtrucksbigbucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/OTRDeductibleExpensesWS1.pdf

http://www.bigtrucksbigbucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/OTRDeductionsExplan.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Trucking-Tax-Center

1. Since he was paid by miles driven, does this industry qualify for the mileage deduction, might be a dumb question but I have to ask.

2. When you capitalize the truck, do you enter the expenses on the auto expense tab?

Thanks

MAS

Marco, you do not use mileage on a heavy truck, you must use actual expenses. And you want to, anyway, as standard is based on auto averages. Trucks operating expenses are much higher.

Elrod gave you some good links. After you read those, if you want, come back with any questions.

Suggestions for Deductible Items

Air freshener

Armorall

Alarm clocks

Antennas

Atlas

Batteries

Ben Gay

Boots (steel toed or rubber work boots)

Boot repair

Briefcase

Brooms and dust pans

Buffer (for shining truck)

Bunk heaters/fans

Bus fare (home to job)

Cab curtains

Calculator

Camera

CB radio and repairs

Check cashing fees

Cigarette plug-ins

Cleaning supplies

Clipboard

Coffee maker

Comcheck fees

Cooler

Cooler motor

Copies

Crowbar

Circuit tester

Disinfectant

Truck/trailer storage

De-Icer

Duct tape

Drivers License (CDL)

Electrical tape

Ether

Fax Flashlight

Floormat

Fly swatter

Film developing

Film for damage claims

First aid supplies

Fumigate trailer

Gloves

Hammer

Hand cleaner

Hangers

Hard hat

Ice

Jack strap

Lap desk

Laundry bag

Laundry detergent

Liquid paper

Load locks

Lock

Log book covers

Magnifying glass

Maps

Map lamp

Metal shelves

Money order charges

Paper clips

Paper/notebook

Paper towels

Parking

Pencils/pens

Phone

Physical (DOT)

Pillow

Power booster

Power cord

Rain gear

Razors

Receipt book

Refrigerator

Safety glasses

Saucepan

Screwdriver

Seat covers

Sewing kit

Shaving kit

Sheets

Shift grip

Showers

Sleeping fan

Sleeping bags

Sunglasses

Stapler/staples

Thermal underwear

Thermos

Tissues

Tie-downs

Toiletries

Towels

Trash bags

Truck cables

Toaster

Tolls

Towing

Travel bag

Truck wash

Tupperware

Truck magazines

Uniforms/alterations

Vacuum (portable)

Visine

Watch

WD-40

Window screen

Suggestions for Deductible Items

Air freshener

Armorall

Alarm clocks

Antennas

Atlas

Batteries

Ben Gay

Boots (steel toed or rubber work boots)

Boot repair

Briefcase

Brooms and dust pans

Buffer (for shining truck)

Bunk heaters/fans

Bus fare (home to job)

Cab curtains

Calculator

Camera

CB radio and repairs

Check cashing fees

Cigarette plug-ins

Cleaning supplies

Clipboard

Coffee maker

Comcheck fees

Cooler

Cooler motor

Copies

Crowbar

Circuit tester

Disinfectant

Truck/trailer storage

De-Icer

Duct tape

Drivers License (CDL)

Electrical tape

Ether

Fax Flashlight

Floormat

Fly swatter

Film developing

Film for damage claims

First aid supplies

Fumigate trailer

Gloves

Hammer

Hand cleaner

Hangers

Hard hat

Ice

Jack strap

Lap desk

Laundry bag

Laundry detergent

Liquid paper

Load locks

Lock

Log book covers

Magnifying glass

Maps

Map lamp

Metal shelves

Money order charges

Paper clips

Paper/notebook

Paper towels

Parking

Pencils/pens

Phone

Physical (DOT)

Pillow

Power booster

Power cord

Rain gear

Razors

Receipt book

Refrigerator

Safety glasses

Saucepan

Screwdriver

Seat covers

Sewing kit

Shaving kit

Sheets

Shift grip

Showers

Sleeping fan

Sleeping bags

Sunglasses

Stapler/staples

Thermal underwear

Thermos

Tissues

Tie-downs

Toiletries

Towels

Trash bags

Truck cables

Toaster

Tolls

Towing

Travel bag

Truck wash

Tupperware

Truck magazines

Uniforms/alterations

Vacuum (portable)

Visine

Watch

WD-40

Window screen

LOL thanks can I send you some work to keep you busy JK

• Like 2

I have no experience with OTR truckers, and I've been holding off on working a new client and I wanted to see if forum members with experience can assist me through my journey. Here is brief scenario and then I will post my questions.

TP was an employee for the first three months in 2013, bought a truck and became a subcontractor for the rest of the year. He drove approx. 150K miles and earned 182K, the company deducted operating expenses like fuel, lodging, maintenance, tolls etc... After all these deductions he only earned about 70K, then from that 70K he had to pay insurance, part of meals, telephone, truck washed, truck note (interest portion), which was another 15K leaving him with 55K profit/take home.

Thanks

MAS

I just finished a return for a OTR trucker last night so will try to help you out. For the three months he was an employee, he deducts his expenses on the 2106 which then takes the deduction to the Sch A. When he becomes a subcontractor with his own truck, all of his expenses go onto the Sch C. If he is a DOT driver carrying products or people interstate, his meal per diem is $59 for overnights. The truck repairs, and any other expenses will now be entered on the Sch C.

The long list fro Pikester is absolute; except you have to remember that the $59 per diem is for "meals and incidentals". Any more questions, keep asking. Some of us have had OTR for years. It is a hard life and even harder to show a profit with the high cost of fuel these days. Then, there are lumper fees and reefer fees and an off-road fuel credit for reefer fuel. Good Luck.

• Like 1

And in case you don't know, a 'lumper fee' is the amount paid for the labor to unload a container. The people that do this work are called lumpers. And a reefer is a refrigerated truck, not something you smoke. and a "reefer mile" (which refers to the period of time that the engine for the refrigerator unit kicks in in order to keep the temperature at 41 degrees) is a separate charge you may come across.

• Like 3

And in case you don't know, a 'lumper fee' is the amount paid for the labor to unload a container. The people that do this work are called lumpers. And a reefer is a refrigerated truck, not something you smoke. and a "reefer mile" (which refers to the period of time that the engine for the refrigerator unit kicks in in order to keep the temperature at 41 degrees) is a separate charge you may come across.

Funny, I had to ask those two questions. Most of my drivers keep the reefer fuel separate in order to claim the off-road fuel tax credit. The one I finished the other night actually had almost $800 in fuel tax credit alone. Thanks for explaining those two distinctive terms to the board. You did a far better job of it than I could have. I have had truckers for all of my professional career; my son having been one for over 20 years. Some are employees and some are SE Tractor owners. I remember years ago, running around trying to find a 2106 for to record employee road expenses for all of my Greenhouse drivers. :wacko: Things have sure changed.

• Like 1