ATX Community

Does anyone know an IRS phone number to reach a human?

elfling

Client's return efiled successfully. Where's My Refund shows deposit sent to savings account at her local bank on April 21. We double-checked routing and account numbers. All fine. Bank has been very accommodating searching all her accounts (checking, savings, even CDs) as well as researching incoming refunds and cannot locate that it ever arrived.

Here's the issue: Every IRS phone number we have tried goes to an automated system! :spaz:

I expect that from 800-829-1954 & 800-829-4477. Was surprised when it happened with 800-829-1040. And was absolutely floored when robot-voice answered at the local office in Bethlehem PA. No amount of button pushing or attempting to by-pass the computer drones has worked, You just end up with the same info (deposited on 4/21) or a disconnect!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a person on the line to help this client?

Linda

Jack,

So far 'waiting' has led to a click followed by a dial tone.

Thanks, MAS. We'll give that a try.

The IRS has reduced phone help staff. Dial again and play the game again. No other way I know of.

The practitioner priority line that MAS gave you may be a little better, but still expect long wait times.

For some reason, the transfer of funds may have been rejected. In such case a check will be sent.

I do not know if it is still the case, but years ago, transfers to/from Savings accounts always ran into problems. Never with checking.

The practitioner line had a wait time of 30 to 60 minutes when I called it last week with the client in the office. The only line that gave me a person in less than five minutes was the identity theft line. Even that was odd. This client was a victim. They couldn't find my 2848. I offered to fax a copy to him on the spot. He said, "You can, but I will probably throw it in the trash before I go home! This is not the correct place to file a 2848."

DUH!!! Since I had him on speaker phone, the clients were able to hear that response. Nobody could ever make something like that up.

I think there is a glitch with their phone system today, I was able to get an agent earlier today via the tax practitioner hotline number, I had to call back for another client and three times already you hear a brief crackle sound and then it hangs up.