ATX Community

USEFUL TRAVEL INFO

kcjenkins

That was very interesting.

Just goes to show how vulnerable soft-side luggage is.

On the other hand, airlines also impose weight limits, so the heavier hard-side luggage means less stuff inside. But most people over-pack anyhow so a little packing discipline might be a good thing for most travelers.

Here's another travel tip - if you anticipate doing any international travel, apply for Global Entry. Cost is $100 for 5 years. In most cases, it allows you to expedite your re-entry through Customs using automated kiosks. But it has an even more useful benefit, because anyone participating in Global Entry is issued a Trusted Traveler number which usually entitles you to use TSA pre-check when entering the TSA checkpoints. These are much shorter lines, no removal of jackets, shoes & belts, no removal of laptops. And the TSA pre-check preference applies to international AND domestic flights.

The whole process takes about 3 months from start to finish, which includes a visit to the airport for a TSA interview and electronic fingerprinting. But in the end, it's a good investment of time for anyone planning to fly anywhere (international or domestic) more than a couple of times over the next 5 years. Especially if you're like me and tend to cut the time a little too close when going to the airport anyhow.

• Like 1

I just returned from Jamaica through the Miami airport. I did not apply for Global Entry, but as far as I could tell all US Citizens were eligible to use the automated kiosks. And I was TSA pre-check on both the outgoing and incoming flights just through the luck of the draw since they randomly select people for that . At least, as far as I know it was a random selection. As always, your mileage may vary.

Prior to getting Global Entry, I had been getting TSA pre-check about half the time. One time I had it and my wife didn't, so that was a waste. Nothing guarantees TSA pre-check, but it's smart to do everything possible to qualify. The airlines make the final call on the TSA pre-check decision (not TSA), so a trusted traveler number greatly increases your odds because you're registered with them before the reservation is even made.

Customs is a different ball game. Before Global Entry I'd been able to use the kiosk on one occasion, but have also stood in line for normal customs over an hour and a half on other occasions. But as more people sign up for Global Entry, they will begin to limit the kiosks to G/E holders only, or else they will have separate lines at the kiosks for US citizens who are not G/E, allowing the G/E holders to skip those lines. (more or less like the "single" lines at ski lifts). So for the non-G/E holder, that will become essentially the same as waiting in line for normal customs.

Another benefit of G/E is that when you get the big "X" at the kiosk and still have to speak with a Customs agent, you get to jump to the front of THAT line. (Awkward to navigate because people in the lines may get annoyed, but permissible.)

All this really isn't so much about just getting to the front of the line - it can become a really important time-saver when you have a connecting flight at the port of entry.

That was very interesting.

Just goes to show how vulnerable soft-side luggage is.

On the other hand, airlines also impose weight limits, so the heavier hard-side luggage means less stuff inside. But most people over-pack anyhow so a little packing discipline might be a good thing for most travelers.

The thing is, if you are carrying valuables, and/or medication, you need at least one piece of hard-side luggage for those items. Plus, most of us take too much. Taking less also gives you a good excuse to shop for something new !

• Like 1

Yes, travel light.

Use a packing list.

Take less than you think you'll need.

That also leaves room to bring back purchases or souvenirs.

I never pack medications or valuables in checked luggage. They always go in my backpack. I've also found that even the airlines that monitor carry-ons for size and weight are less likely to question backpacks, even whey they are over size or overweight. They generally focus on the rolling carry-ons, because those cause the most problems in overhead bins. I've even placed an oversize backpack on the sizing bin which was too big & didn't fit, but I just slung it back over my shoulder. Best to do that if the person watching the bin is really busy, or else ask them a question to distract them while you're doing it.

But the best solution is to put a small collapsible day-pack inside the backpack or roll-on, with all the really critical stuff in that day-pack. Position it right at the top. In the event that they make you check the backpack or rolling carry-on at the aircraft door, you can pull out the day pack before surrendering the carry-on. The best one I've ever seen by far is the Civita Day Pack. (It also makes a nice pillow for leaning forward and napping on the tray table on long flights - best sleeping position I've ever devised in coach)

• 7 months later...

Follow up on the comments about Global Entry and who they are allowing to use it.  Based on what I saw last night at Philadelphia International, they may be beginning to limit usage of the kiosks only to Global Entry registrants.  Don't know if that is a new procedure or only at that location on that evening.

I walked past lines which were probably 60-90 minutes long and went right through the kiosk, and no other American citizens were being steered through there as I've seen in the past.  The only other person from my flight that I observed picking up luggage was a passenger who had wheelchair assistance and was allowed to jump the regular line.  One experience like that makes the cost of Global Entry worthwhile,  not to mention the fact that I get TSA precheck on virtually every domestic flight now. 

For anyone who does any air travel (domestically or internationally), registering through Global Entry is becoming a no-brainer.