ATX Community

Software Problem

MAMalody

I have tried 10 times to open ATX to no avail.  I rebooted my computer and tried another 7 times to no avail.  I keep getting the message: There was an issue conecting this workstation to the configured database.  Please ensure that the server is running and that the service is started and try again. 

What gives?  If there is a solution, step by step instructions would be needed for me.

Program runs slowly after updates

Answer ID 3588 | Document ID 624 | Published 01/13/2012 02:28 PM | Updated 01/27/2014 11:52 AM

After installing an update for your ATX software, the program takes a long time to start or to respond when entering data.

This problem can occur when your hard disk drive is heavily fragmented, or has an excessive number of unnecessary files.

To clean and defragment your hard disk drive

1. Close all open applications.
  2. Run the Windows Disk Cleanup utility to remove temporary files. Refer to Answer ID: 1777 for instructions.
  3. Run the Windows ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter utilities. Refer to Answer ID: 1777 for instructions.

For 1.2 gigabyte (GB) or larger hard disk drives, the Disk Defragmenter utility may take a long time. Many users prefer to run this utility overnight or at the end of a work day. If the utility reports that your drive is heavily fragmented, defragmenting can improve your overall system performance.

If the Return Manager contains many returns, or if you delete a large number of returns, the database file of your ATX software may become excessively large. You can "clean up" the database by using the REPAIR.EXE program utility. Refer to Answer ID: 1297
for instructions.

Compacting and repairing databases

Answer ID 3260 | Document ID 35836 | Published 01/10/2012 10:15 PM | Updated 07/15/2014 08:05 AM

Some solutions in this Knowledgebase may call for you to compact and repair your database files in Microsoft Excel.

To compact and repair a database
  1. Start Microsoft Access.
  2. Open the database you want to compact and repair.
  3. On the Tools menu, selectDatabase Utilities.
  4. On the sub-menu that becomes available, select Compact and Repair Database.

I found this at ATX but please be careful with this one, go to the site and double check if this applies to ATX

Do you have a router on your internet?  Wired or wireless both count.

If yes:

1. Disable ALL firewalls, Disable all Anti-virus and internet protection suites.  Then try opening your program.
  2. If you feel you must have anti-virus protection, remove ALL except ONE.  Remove all internet protection suite functions.  Delete Microsoft Security Essentials.  Keep only ONE protection and make sure it is ONLY anti-virus. 
  3. Remove ALL toolbars except those that are part of your browser.

If you do not have a router, follow items 2 & 3 above.

I think it is fixed.  I went ahead and allowed ATX remote access.  By use of the ATX Admin Console and it looked like dos commands they defragged my database.  At least that is what it looked like to this vastly untrained eye.  I was able to open my program and load a return at that point.  To me the jury is still out because last night I went to open the program again and got the same initial message again.  I rebooted my computer and it opened on the first try then.  I will see more today. Hope it works correctly as I still have around 38 clients to still finish up. Six or seven still have not provided any info.  What a late year it is. I have the above info and will return here if still have problems.  Thanks for the assist, I truly appreciate it.

• Like 1

I think it is fixed.  I went ahead and allowed ATX remote access.  By use of the ATX Admin Console and it looked like dos commands they defragged my database.  At least that is what it looked like to this vastly untrained eye.  I was able to open my program and load a return at that point.  To me the jury is still out because last night I went to open the program again and got the same initial message again.  I rebooted my computer and it opened on the first try then.  I will see more today. Hope it works correctly as I still have around 38 clients to still finish up. Six or seven still have not provided any info.  What a late year it is. I have the above info and will return here if still have problems.  Thanks for the assist, I truly appreciate it.

The tech that "rebuilt" your database did not address the problem.  Here at the firm, with the huge number of clients we have, the database has never been "rebuilt" despite two different techs blaming problems on it.  The problems were solved by other means. 

Regardless of what CCH has been saying, the program is FAR from being stable and solid.  Techs are still GUESSING at what needs to be done to fix it.

Send me a PM and I will tell you my firewall and anti-virus strategy.

1. Downgrade your computer to Windows XP, prior to Service Pack 1
  2. Disable all antivirus and security software
  3. Using Internet Explorer 6, browse high risk websites heavy with flash and java applets
  4. Make sure to open all suspicious emails.  If an email has an attachment in EXE format, make sure to execute it.  Multiple times.
  5. If the error persists, take your PC to the bathroom and plug it in.  Fill your tub with water, get in, and with your body submerged, quickly lower the tower into the water.

These steps may or may not fix the problem, but at the very least it'll give you lots of other things to worry about, and hopefully keep you from calling us back for a while.

/s

• Like 8

My computer shows zero defragmentation. Still have problem.  If it makes any difference this is a stand alone laptop. 

for my own curiosity, what are your other specs?

my stand alone, win7, i5, 8gb (business only pc)) had little problems on 2012 and 2013 tax returns (120 returns).

it feels to me that you have computer "corruption problems" (whatever that means in my computer naive world).

CALL ATX SUPPORT.

they helped me out once when I thought all was lost.

they know how to cancel out and reinstall the program without loosing data.