ATX Community

IRS rejected for missing ID Theft PIN

Kea

IRS rejected for missing ID Theft PIN, but the client has never had any issues with ID Theft.

I'm not sure what to do now.  I didn't see anything that looked like I checked any boxes I shouldn't have that would have accidentally told ATX / IRS to look for an ID PIN.

Could this be some sort of weird twist on ID Theft that someone else reported a problem "for her" and then they got the ID Theft PIN?

Thanks

Ask the client for the information he received from the IRS about an identity theft situation.  He/she has been contacted and given an identity theft ID.  People don't think it is important to give it to their tax preparer.

Filing this late, he/she was probably victim of a fraudulent return being filed with their SS#.  The IRS sends a letter requesting copies of their ID and Form 14039.

If he cannot find it or says he didn't get it, paper file.  The IRS will contact him for certain.

You did not do anything wrong.

I did contact the client and she says she's never been a victim of ID Theft.

Ask if she has received any letters from the IRS. 

This is the only reason you would get that reject code.  Save your time calling.  Just paper file.  If she is getting a refund, it may take 3 months or so.

She could be a victim of someone filing a fraudulent return using her SS#, and she would never know till now.  I have had 3 of these at the firm this year.

There is a difference in a fraudulent return and identity theft.  BIG differences.

UPDATE:  Client called me today.  She called the phone number and they told her to use the website.  When she uses the website it can't verify her identity.  She has tried everyday for the last week and a half.  She said that every time they can't verify you, they make you wait 24 hours before trying again.

She asked me to try it.  With her still on the phone and my looking at her 2012 tax return, I went through the process, too.  I got the same error she did.  It said they couldn't verify her identity and that something didn't match their records.  However, there was nothing on the page to indicate which field they didn't like. 

Comment - It turns out that she had to deal with an ID theft issue when trying to process her 2012 return.  But she didn't receive an IP Pin this year.  (I have no idea why she told me she's never had any issues with ID theft when I asked her that point blank several times.)  So she does need the replacement PIN and my original question is now moot.

She's called IRS again and they have not been able to help her - just send her to the website.  She's very frustrated and I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Does anyone have any tips about filling out the website?

When it asks for first name, do they really want first name and middle initial?
They want the address exactly as it was on prior return.  So, for the zip code my prior 2012 software left in the hyphen even though the 4 digit extension was not there.  I tried entering the hyphen on the IP PIN website and it wouldn't take it.

For the optional field of the phone number - I entered her current phone # "assuming" (since it was optional) it was for contacting her about this process.  Should this have been her previous phone # so that they could match to the files?

Does the website care what type of computer / phone / browser you use?

Yes, I could have her try these various scenarios, but if you can only do one try per day, it would be nice to know what their matching system wants the first time.  I'll try the practitioner hotline, but not sure they can help with this.

She called the wrong phone number and/or does not understand and/or did not give them accurate information.

Get her in your office, call the number on the website. Here is the correct number:

Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free at 1-800-908-4490 so we can take steps to further secure your account.  They will want Form 14039 filled out and appropriate documentation attached.

Forget the website. 

• Like 1

She called the wrong phone number and/or does not understand and/or did not give them accurate information.

Get her in your office, call the number on the website. Here is the correct number:

Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free at 1-800-908-4490 so we can take steps to further secure your account.  They will want Form 14039 filled out and appropriate documentation attached.

Forget the website. 

That is the number that I gave them.  I DO have an extension # of 245; the gentleman who was very helpful to me.  However, Jack is correct that the first step is and must be the filing of the Form 14039.  I actually have that form saved to my desktop for easy access.  The second step will include copies of the drivers license and SS card.  I agree with Jack.  You will get nowhere on the website.

OK, this question is probably more stupid. 

On Form 14039 she should check Box 1 in section A since she has already had an ID theft issue.  But she never received PIN in the mail (assume it was sent earlier this year).

So what # does she fax it to?  Box 1 people are supposed to fax to # on letter (that she doesn't have).  But there is a fax # for Box 2 but that's only for people that "might" have a problem.  I "assume" that forms faxed to that # will not be prossessed as a priority.

Any suggestions as to good fax numbers?

OK, this question is probably more stupid. 

On Form 14039 she should check Box 1 in section A since she has already had an ID theft issue.  But she never received PIN in the mail (assume it was sent earlier this year).

So what # does she fax it to?  Box 1 people are supposed to fax to # on letter (that she doesn't have).  But there is a fax # for Box 2 but that's only for people that "might" have a problem.  I "assume" that forms faxed to that # will not be prossessed as a priority.

Any suggestions as to good fax numbers?

Mail it to the address in the instructions ONLY.  Be sure the copies of her ID (Drivers License AND SS card) are expanded enough to be clearly legible.  Don't overthink this.

Previously, you posted that she has NOT had any ID theft issues?  Fraudulent tax returns do not equal ID theft.  So she would not check the box saying that she had.  Don't overthink this.

She originally told me that she had not had any issues.  After she talked to the person on the phone (who would only direct her to the website) she then told me she had an issue last year.  I have no idea why she answered my question wrong previously.

I'm just trying to help her since she is very nice and is a long term client.  Not sure why she answered my question about ID theft wrong the first time.  Maybe because she already realized that the original case last year was fraud and not ID theft.

But it is looking like mailing might be better.  I'll see what she wants to do.

She originally told me that she had not had any issues.  After she talked to the person on the phone (who would only direct her to the website) she then told me she had an issue last year.  I have no idea why she answered my question wrong previously.

I'm just trying to help her since she is very nice and is a long term client.  Not sure why she answered my question about ID theft wrong the first time.  Maybe because she already realized that the original case last year was fraud and not ID theft.

If she wants the problem to be resolved, she will mail it.  Otherwise, she gets to pay you a lot more to keep trying to correct this mess.

As her tax professional, this is what you should suggest and almost insist.  If she does not want to follow your guidance, either get a very large retainer for going forward or fire her.

I grow weary of clients that do not take my experienced and researched advice to solve problems.

If she is your long term client, why are you not aware whether she had any problems last year or not?  Did you paper file the return.  If you e-filed it, you would have known immediately that her identity was stolen.  There is no priority handling of cases that I know of.  They are so over-burdened that they are taking them as they come.  I was able to finally get one gentleman to help me in July because the taxpayer needed the return filed in order to be able to get a transcript for FAFSA.  In this case, the tax return was very small anyway.  I only had one person come in with an identity pin this year and there were others from prior years that never received a pin.  These persons had their 2013 returns go through just fine; which makes me think that they had caught the perpetrator on those.  There is no hurrying this process.  You man wait a minimum of ten to twelve weeks just to have a response to the filing of the 14039.  Frustrating to say the least.

I did not have an issue / rejection when e-filing her return last year.  She did contact me a few weeks later about why her refund was taking so long.  I gave her the standard where's my refund website.  I just figured the delay was for EITC.  From what I'm hearing at this point the delay last year was due to the ID theft / fraud issue.  It somehow involved her ex-husband's new girlfriend.  She never really elaborated details.  I guess she just thought it was a one-time thing?