ATX Community

Mortgage Interest Deduction - No 1098

Lee B

I am finishing up a 1040 return where my clients purchased a home in 2013 from 2 individuals,

not married, via a contract. The payments are made 50/50 to the two individuals who also live in two

different states. The ATX worksheet only gives you room to enter one name, address & SSN.

What is the best way to handle this?

This is from the instructions for Form 1098:

(Just an FYI)

Who Must File

File this form if you are engaged in a trade or business and, in the course of such trade or business, you receive from an individual $600 or more of mortgage interest on any one mortgage during the calendar year. You are not required to file this form if the interest is not received in the course of your trade or business. For example, you hold the mortgage on your former personal residence. The buyer makes mortgage payments to you. You are not required to file Form 1098.

This is from the instructions for Form 1098:

(Just an FYI)

Who Must File

The buyer makes mortgage payments to you. You are not required to file Form 1098.

The key words are NOT REQUIRED!  Anyone receiving interest can issue a 1098-INT. It is a good paper trail for both the recipient and the payer.

Such ranting over minutia!!!

Edited by kcjenkins

The key word is REQUIRED! Anyone receiving interest can issue a 1098-INT. It is a good paper trail for both the recipient and the payer.

Such ranting over minutia!!!

Jack --- perhaps this is practice for a future "political career"????

After all --- isn't "minutia" what politics strive for ---?

As a second thought --- perhaps they are like me --- "anal" and want to make sure of what is said and done properly. NOW, I am scared --- maybe I have a politicians tendencies too???

This the email response that I received from ATX:

"No, itemized lists are not included in an efile.  If you want this information to be included in an e-file, use a blank statement which you can find by adding a Elections/Statements form.  Locate the Blank Statements tab at the bottom, and enter the information here. "

If you need further assistance, please contact our customer support department at 1-800-638-8291.
Thanks for using our products!
Tabitha Ervin
Customer Service Level 4 Representative

So i will go ahead and use a blank statement.

This the email response that I received from ATX:

"No, itemized lists are not included in an efile.  If you want this information to be included in an e-file, use a blank statement which you can find by adding a Elections/Statements form.  Locate the Blank Statements tab at the bottom, and enter the information here. "

If you need further assistance, please contact our customer support department at 1-800-638-8291.

Thanks for using our products!

Tabitha Ervin

Customer Service Level 4 Representative

So i will go ahead and use a blank statement.

Too much trouble!!  My method is much simpler!!