ATX Community

Multi-State Indiana - Attach pdf?

Jack from Ohio

I have a multi-state return. Client lives in Indiana and has both Indiana and Illinois returns. In order to claim taxes paid in IL against taxes in IN, IN Sch 6, line 5 states: "Credit for taxes paid to other states: Enclose other state's return."

When creating the e-file, I get a pink warning saying: "IN SCH 6 Warning Please attach a copy of the other state's income tax return to the Indiana return."

I created a .pdf of the IL return. When I tried to attach it to the IN return, there is no place to attach anything to IN as a .pdf. I just hung up on tech support because the lady was guessing and telling me that I did NOT need to attach it. (more about that later)

This amounts to a tax credit for the client of $4,100, so this is not a small issue.

Anyone have any ideas or experience? My next action will be to e-mail the development team at ATX that has come to know me so well!!!

Anyone?

Jack, I did not use ATX in 2013 so this may be way off.  But in 2012 when you went to the E-File menu in the task bar within the tax return, clicked on Attach PDF, and scrolled down to the state e-file info, one of the choices was to attach "other state return 1" (and 2 and 3).  When I used that for 2012 it attached the PDF of the return to the proper state return and eliminated the error message.  I hope this helps. 

Jack, I did not use ATX in 2013 so this may be way off.  But in 2012 when you went to the E-File menu in the task bar within the tax return, clicked on Attach PDF, and scrolled down to the state e-file info, one of the choices was to attach "other state return 1" (and 2 and 3).  When I used that for 2012 it attached the PDF of the return to the proper state return and eliminated the error message.  I hope this helps.

I attach pdf files to returns on a regular basis. As I stated, there is no option to attach ANY pdf files to the IN return. Indiana does not have a method to fax the information. Indiana does not have a website upload option, as some states do. Yet the form and the orange warnings say to attach the other state return.

"...the pink warning will be modified for 2014 to be more specific about what it means." This from 2 higher up customer support people at CCH. Two calls in an hour. Their compliance department went to the source and found the answer. I sent an e-mail to three people at CCH. Seems I can still stir up action...

If paper filing, attach the copy. If e-filed, save the copy in case IN asks for it. This is from IN tax department.

If IN asks for it, I will bill the client for sending it and give them the address of the IN tax department to file complaints about their lame methods for e-file.

• Like 3

Jack, that is very similar to DE. They want paper-filed returns to include the other states' returns, but have no attachment method when efiling with any software. For efiled returns, DE contacts those other states' revenue depts later in the summer to verify the credit is accurate and only asks for the actual return if there is a problem. I bet IN works in a similar manner.

Lion, PA has the ability to accept pdf attachments of the other states returns from within the software. Both ATX and Drake handled it that way, and I can't believe that your more expensive program doesn't have that function.

My software does have that function.  The lady in PA told me to fax it to her when efiling 2012, so I did both!  For 2013, I actually did only the .pdf and not the fax as the refund was something like $2 so not a big deal if delayed (it's my kids and a free return, so they really can't complain!).

CT also requires me to keep the other state return with the 8879 (CT accepts the federal 8879) in case they ask for it.  But then, CT still doesn't receive e-filed trusts (you can upload returns on the CT site); say they will later this year.

Jack

I do file tax returns for IL & IN and I spoke to ATX on this matter. Based on what I heard from them IN do not want copy of tax return to be attached BUT they might ask for one in future therefore your answer is "If e-filed, save the copy in case IN asks for it. This is from IN tax department"

Jack

I do file tax returns for IL & IN and I spoke to ATX on this matter. Based on what I heard from them IN do not want copy of tax return to be attached BUT they might ask for one in future therefore your answer is "If e-filed, save the copy in case IN asks for it. This is from IN tax department"

Then what does this mea?  IN Sch 6, line 5 states: "Credit for taxes paid to other states: Enclose other state's return."

Is my English bad?

Then what does this mea?  IN Sch 6, line 5 states: "Credit for taxes paid to other states: Enclose other state's return."

Is my English bad?

Yes, there are statements like that in many of the states' instructions and still on the forms for those that are paper filing, and the forms are also unchanged. The proper instructions for tax preparers and other e-filers should be included in the e-filing guidelines put out by each state, but in many cases those instructions are lacking this sort of detail.