ATX Community

A/R Software

TaxmannEA

I'm looking for software to prepare billing and A/R records for several clients. We seem to have interest in this service from some of our small businesses. We would need to handle multiple clients and probably would need a network license as there would be more than one person doing this work. Inexpensive is always good also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

These would be mostly service type businesses that bill customers on a monthly basis. One example would be a trash hauler that services a number of clients regularly.Another would be a heating contractor that would have some billing for parts as well as labor. As far as I know, there are no retailers involved at this time. I would expect the number of change orders to be minimal. 

You may be interested in FreshBooks for this: http://www.freshbooks.com (I have never used this, but it appears to be a cloud based invoicing system)

Personally I am not a big fan of these cloud solutions as they come with a monthly service charge.

Of course, QuickBooks desktop could certainly handle this task and would be a one time purchase.  You could handle remote access via logmein or other computer sharing programs, many of which are free or have a small annual fee.

the problem with using QB for a lot of people is that you can't create billing rules for example.  I have 30 monthly invoice to go out and 20 quarterlies, it would be nice to have a program that would auto-generate these as applicable.  Some more expensive programs will prepare these as of the first of the month and you just have to print them, the date of service auto changes ie services for January 2014 then service for February 2014 with no input needed. We used to use such a program but it has a limitation that you couldn't pre-prepare invoices, so if the first of the month was a Saturday, you couldn't generate the invoices on the Friday before.  

the problem with using QB for a lot of people is that you can't create billing rules for example.  I have 30 monthly invoice to go out and 20 quarterlies, it would be nice to have a program that would auto-generate these as applicable.  Some more expensive programs will prepare these as of the first of the month and you just have to print them, the date of service auto changes ie services for January 2014 then service for February 2014 with no input needed. We used to use such a program but it has a limitation that you couldn't pre-prepare invoices, so if the first of the month was a Saturday, you couldn't generate the invoices on the Friday before.  

Maybe I am not understanding your requirement, but it seems like QuickBooks memorized transactions could handle this?

No, it does not automatically change that information, but for 30 invoices I would bet it would be no more than a 10 minute task to edit them (I am currently doing this for about 15/month).  I haven't done any research, but there are tons of after market add ons for QuickBooks and there may be one out there that would perform that task.

For the few invoices you are talking about, you could set up an excel workbook with links to one master sheet containing the date field and month service relates to. Changing the date and month fields on that master sheet would take the few moments to make the change and the data would auto-populate throughout the workbook.  Print the entire workbook once a month and you are done.

I prepare the quarterly CAM bills for one client having a commercial rental with a small number of tenants, and this is how I do it. I have the master sheet that does all the math, and it flows beautifully to each tenant's bill. Of course, I don't have to worry about tracking the receivable though.