ATX Community

Which tax research are you using?

David

I just switched to ProSeries and the sales rep advised that they no longer provide BNA tax research with their program.

What tax research program are others here using?

Thanks.

Edited by jklcpa
made more gen'l for purpose of moving to general chat

I used RIA Checkpoint last year and was satisfied with that. It is a comprehensive research tool with access to all of the usual tax law materials, forms, instructions, and so on, plus lots of other tools and calculators that professionals might need and find useful.

This year I purchased The Tax Book "Plus" online version and a desk reference in print. I liked the layout of the product because it seemed more intuitive and easy to use over that of the RIA product. I just purchased and haven't set up my access yet, so I'm only basing this off watching the videos of the product on their website.

David,

I too use the Tax Book Online version Web Library. this will be my second year, and I also like the layout of the book and its cites.

I just wish it (or some other resource) had a definitive answer for the deductibility of health insurance premiums for >2% shareholders of S corps

with more than 1 employee. My S-Corp clients are very angry that they have to risk a $36500 penalty from the Department of Labor to be able to show their HI premiums as wages and then deduct them on their own 1040 as SE Health Deduction. As of right now, if they follow the IRS guidelines, things are the same as last year, but if they follow the DOL guidelines, they set themselves up for the huge penalty. All I can do at this point is just share the information I currently have about the situation and let them make the final determination of their risk. (So far all have elected NOT to deduct the health premiums, since it is just too risky.)

On average, I only get one tricky research question each year, so I use NATP research group. Every year I get a free question with my membership.

I belonged to another association and I posted a question and the answer I got was not accurate. I wrote them back and they corrected. The following year, I didn't renew my membership and I stayed only with NATP. So far the answers I have gotten have been accurate.

www.natptax.com

NATP_logo.png 

• Like 1