ATX Community

health insurance reimbursement no no

KEYWEST_RICKS

From what i have seen in print and at seminars........

a company cannot say to an employee....... i will pay you $10 per hour for your hourly wage that is subject to withholding and fica and i will also pay you $2080 per year... or $1 per hour.... for you to use for health insurance if you wish.  even if this is also post tax and  subject to withholding and fica.

so you have a total gross wage of $22,880

that due to aca... if you have more than one employee you cannot do the above and you would be subject to $100 per day per employee penalty.

can i not, though, just simply say i am paying you $11 per hour????????    total gross wage of $22,880 all subject to withholding and fica  and you do whatever you want to do with the $11 per hour???

i think i am really missing something here on this issue.

jeff

From what i have seen in print and at seminars........

a company cannot say to an employee....... i will pay you $10 per hour for your hourly wage that is subject to withholding and fica and i will also pay you $2080 per year... or $1 per hour.... for you to use for health insurance if you wish.  even if this is also post tax and  subject to withholding and fica.

so you have a total gross wage of $22,880

that due to aca... if you have more than one employee you cannot do the above and you would be subject to $100 per day per employee penalty.

can i not, though, just simply say i am paying you $11 per hour????????    total gross wage of $22,880 all subject to withholding and fica  and you do whatever you want to do with the $11 per hour???

i think i am really missing something here on this issue.

jeff

Don't overthink this provision.  As long as the employer adds it to boxes 1, 3 & 5 and withholds tax appropriately, what you call it is totally irrelevant.

• Like 2

jack,  i am not sure i agree with you based on the following:

According to the Q & A, an employer cannot give an employee cash to purchase insurance coverage on the individual market, even if the employer treats the cash as wages, withholding income tax and FICA/FUTA taxes. Essentially, the Department has directed employers to stay out of the health insurance arena completely unless purchasing group health plans for their employees. Notice 2013-54 had specified that employers could forward post-tax payments to private health insurance companies at the request of their employees for the purchase of the employees' individual health insurance. The Notice referred to this as a "payroll practice" that was still acceptable. The most recent Q & A (reprinted here) clarifies that this "payroll practice" exception is very narrow.

jack,  i am not sure i agree with you based on the following:

According to the Q & A, an employer cannot give an employee cash to purchase insurance coverage on the individual market, even if the employer treats the cash as wages, withholding income tax and FICA/FUTA taxes. Essentially, the Department has directed employers to stay out of the health insurance arena completely unless purchasing group health plans for their employees. Notice 2013-54 had specified that employers could forward post-tax payments to private health insurance companies at the request of their employees for the purchase of the employees' individual health insurance. The Notice referred to this as a "payroll practice" that was still acceptable. The most recent Q & A (reprinted here) clarifies that this "payroll practice" exception is very narrow.

Just exactly how is this information going to be sent to the IRS?  Don't overthink this and turn off your logical mind.  The IRS will ONLY receive the W-2 information. 

GOOD GRIEF!!  Has the IRS struck such deep fear into all of us that we think they are monitoring all conversations?

Don't overthink it!!!

• Like 3

jeff

^  This is no problem.  All the company is doing is giving a valued employee a raise, nothing more. Report the wages on the W-2 in the usual manner.  It is not related to health insurance.

• Like 1

so michaelmars..... would the above post from the dept of labor cause you concern you then?    i am not so worried about the IRS but i believe the dept of labor is saying this is a violation.  

and again....$100 per day per employee gets my attention big time.

jeff

And black helicopters full of blue helmeted troops are circling above just waiting to pounce...

Get REAL!!  Dept of labor has NOTHING to do with the IRS.  IRS regs are all that matter.

Paranoia is a slow steady brain killer!!

Actually, my worry on that would be a disgruntled former employee complaint.  So my advice to an employer would be "just say, we are not going to offer a group plan, due to the complexities of the new laws, so you will be getting a raise, and your insurance decisions are your personal business."