ATX Community

Form 1099-R

Christian

After filling in a client 1099-R indicating no taxable amount in box 2a I find it included in box 15b on the Form 1040. 

Any solution for this other than overriding the entry ? It occurs to me I had this same problem last year.

Make sure code 1 is not entered. Your issue is with the code, so play attention to it and you will be OK.

• Like 1

More information is needed before an accurate answer can be given.  What type of IRA is this 1099-R for and what is the code in box 7?  Is box 2a filled in with a -0- or is it blank?  Any boxes checked in 2b?  If it is an IRA with taxpayer having basis, you would need to fill in the 8606 for ATX to carry the correct amount to line 15b.  Roth IRA also might need the 8606 filled in to arrive at the correct answer.

• Like 2

It's a Roth IRA distributed to a brother who was the listed beneficiary. It's distribution code is T. I even placed a zero in the taxable distribution line 2a. The account was set up over eight years ago and is of course tax free. I had the same problem last year with an ira distribution and had to override field entries to complete the return.