ATX Community

Here we go again! Who gets HOH?

Janitor Bob

I need to refresh myself and consult with others every year...and still not sure I'm understanding.

unmarried parents live together all year with their child.  Dad has income of $29,000.  Mom has income of $16,000.  Both agree to put child and all associated credits on whichever return maximizes the refund.

Can mom file as Single and claim the child for Dependency, CTC, and EIC and Dad file as HOH with no dependency exemption?

No, they cannot split the tax benefits.

See pub 17, page 31

Sometimes, a child meets the relationship, age, residency, support, and joint return tests to be a qualifying child of more than one person. Although the child is a qualifying child of each of these persons, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit). 1. The exemption for the child. 2. The child tax credit. 3. Head of household filing status. 4. The credit for child and dependent care expenses. 5. The exclusion from income for dependent care benefits. 6. The earned income credit. The other person cannot take any of these benefits based on this qualifying child. In other words, you and the other person cannot agree to divide these benefits between you. The other person cannot take any of these tax benefits for a child unless he or she has a different qualifying child.

• Like 4

You got the correct answer from Frazzled, mom as single or HOH if she qualifies and father as single.

Or father as HOH (if he qualifies) with the dependent child and mother as single without the child as a dependent and no benefits.

The only time I have seen one filing as HOH and claiming EIC without claiming the child is in the case of separated parents. One parent lives with the child all year and provides more than half of the support, get HOH and EIC and signs the dependent release form so the absent parent can claim the child.

• Like 3

Currently, I have mom filing as Single...claiming the child for dependency exemption, EIC and CTC.  Father filing as single with no dependency exemption or credits.

what I was wondering is if father could file as HOH (without claiming dependency exemption) instead of single.

Edited by Janitor Bob