ATX Community

Good Payroll Software?

Ray in Ohio

I currently am using peachtree for my payroll processing and it is not performing to my standards anymore. I need more flexibility with reporting, W2 processing, etc. I do payroll for approx 75 companies with roughly 400 employees total. What programs would be suitable for this kind of operation. What are your experiences with different programs? Pros & Cons?? Any ideas would be appreciated. I am almost sure I will be switching to a different program later this year and would love to hear your opinions on what would be a good choice.

Thanks and have a good week.

(I know everyone's busy, but I thought if I wait till after tax season to post this, most of you might not be as active on this board.)

So far, I have been happy with Accountants' World, Payroll AC. www.accountantsworld.com

I have used it starting 1-1-07. I have seen improvements and redesign, all to the good. Client access, ability to print on blank check stock or pre-printed. I have one client who want to physically write the checks - which is also permissible.

Toll-free tech support, 9-5, M-F. Online knowledge base 24/7. Free webinars to learn program.

I currently use npsystems, website http://npsystems.safeshopper.com/. I don't do as many as you but find it quite reliable and user friendly. In addition, for my clients that process their own in house payroll they are required by me to use an automated service such as ADP. I fould Pay Cycle - Online Payroll Service, website https://www.paycycle.com/external/home.jsp who are also quite good at a reasonable price.

Good luck

Mike D

I use paycycle for live payroll because they keep historical information and I can do comparitive reports.

I also use QB for a few smaller payroll clients who I also do their books and that is usually what I have my clients use if they are doing in house payroll and I do the reports.

I use Drake's Client write up for ATF payroll because it is fast and easy but the reports are not as user friendly.

I did use Accountants world but switched this year because they purge all prior year information and it made doing workman's comp reports very time consuming.

I have been using Medlin for several years and like it very much. Entry is fast and if you make a wrong entry, it is VERY easy to correct. The only problem I have is I have one client that has employees working in multiple jurisdictions where a local tax is required. I have to calculate the local tax manually on those employees. I used Quick Books before using Medlin and entry was a little slow and if you made a mistake, it was a pain to correct it. Quick Books may be better now. Before that I used Great Plains and entry on that was cumbersome and to correct an error was very difficult, but the program could be adapted to almost any situation. I haven't heard of Great Plains in years. I don't know if they are still in business.

I have been using Medlin for several years and like it very much. Entry is fast and if you make a wrong entry, it is VERY easy to correct. The only problem I have is I have one client that has employees working in multiple jurisdictions where a local tax is required. I have to calculate the local tax manually on those employees. I used Quick Books before using Medlin and entry was a little slow and if you made a mistake, it was a pain to correct it. Quick Books may be better now. Before that I used Great Plains and entry on that was cumbersome and to correct an error was very difficult, but the program could be adapted to almost any situation. I haven't heard of Great Plains in years. I don't know if they are still in business.

I believe that right now Great Plains is called Microsoft Dynamics GP

I have used Medlin for several years but found that it did not allow me to add S Corp shareholder health insurance to Box 1 on the W-2 for 2007. I like the ease of use in capturing after the fact payroll throughout the year but am needing more flexibilty at year end to capture information specific to individual W-2s.

Would love to find a payroll software that allows year end adjustments as needed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks for all the responses. I definately am getting some great ideas.

Yesterday I got a call from ATX. They are wanting me to use their accounting program. I asked what they have to offer in payroll software. He gave me a brief summary of "ATX Payroll". I told him I would get back to him after tax season. It's actually CCH's program but they made a few small changes and are now calling it "ATX". Anyone using either one of these?

Have a good day!!

Thanks for all the responses. I definately am getting some great ideas.

Yesterday I got a call from ATX. They are wanting me to use their accounting program. I asked what they have to offer in payroll software. He gave me a brief summary of "ATX Payroll". I told him I would get back to him after tax season. It's actually CCH's program but they made a few small changes and are now calling it "ATX". Anyone using either one of these?

Have a good day!!

I have used Medlin for years, as have many of my clients. I, personally, use the ATX module to do the W2, 1099 forms with ATX uni-forms. Works for me....

We use AME Software out of California. The payroll module will do just about anything. We write checks, direct deposit, tips, retirement plans, sick & vacation accruals. They also have the ability to electronically file. We have been using ATX for efiling our payroll forms but after the fiasco this year we will be looking at that function in AME for next year.

Maribeth