ATX Community

How to file Married filing separate in a community property state

Tax Prep by Deb

Ok,

I'm rusty on this, but I have a married client who want to file MFS.  Because California is a community property state I know income has to be split as well as withholdings, ect...

On each of their returns I entered their own W-2 info but made an adjustment to their income on line 7 labeled as such to indicate the 1/2 split.  So income on line 7 is 1/2 of both.  Then when recording the withholding I also made an adjustment to represent 1/2 of what was withheld.

I have included form 8958 with this return indicating the above.

How do I do this on the state return?  The income portion flows correctly, but I do not see any spot at all that I can change the amount of the state withholding.

I did one years ago and I just can't remember how I did it.  Or if I'm doing it right now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I ran into a similar problem with 100S schedule B where in the past I could override and enter the correct amounts, but this year I could not.  I had to get them to open up overrides on the form because they did not have another way to populate the form.  May be the same situation for you that they locked down the overrides they used to allow.

Not a comfort I am sure, but it is the best I have for you.

Tom

Newark,  CA

Deb,

If your clients drew Social Security and lived with his/her spouse at any time in 2014, remember that 85% of the social security is automatically taxable without considering the $25,000 calculation for a MFS taxpayer who did not live with his/her spouse at all during 2014.

Cathy 

Thanks for the reminder, but no social security involved. I have been successful in creating the efile, so calling them in for signing tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What did you do?  Inquiring minds want to know (just in case I end up with this situation later this year).

Thanks,

Tom

Newark, CA