ATX Community

Amended and the $500 safe harbor

Marie

My understanding, such as it is, is that we 'should' begin filing the elections as of 2014 as Jan. 1, 2014, is when this is in effect. I have chosen to do this. You may choose otherwise. I am fairly well decided that I have no need to file any Forms 3115 but still have two clients with extensive properties that may have had repairs that need to be capitalized or vice versa. Even at that, I may just take advantage of this new relief and be done with it.

Ahh, if you made additional changes I think it still may be superseded. In my case, I only omitted the election, no other changes at all. I would prepare the updated return with all the changes, write 'SUPERSEDED' on top and mail. It wouldn't be helpful I should think to mail in the original without the changes and the election.

Perhaps KC will chime in here. It was just a couple of weeks ago that this was discussed but I don't know how to link to it. My understanding is that a superseded return, if filed by April 15, will replace the originally filed return. Yes, mailing is the only option, I believe.

• Like 1