ATX Community

Do You Really Want to Laugh...I Mean REALLY

MsTabbyKats

New client today,,,,,

She wants to file separately.  She made about $110,000...and owes $6000.

She told me her husband already filed...because she was away.  Her husband made about $150,000.

She was very upset...so I told her that I could amend the husband's return to include her...and everyone would be better off.

Here's her response:

Can you check and let me know how much we would owe if filed together ? This would helps us decide if we really want a tax amendment.

The reason I say so is because my husband informed me that while filling his tax return with H&R block he was also offered this option of filling jointly but the amount came to $7500 so he went ahead and filed separately paying just 100 bucks. 

Thanks

I told her that was  impossible...and I'd really like to see his return.

I think she wants me to "figure it out" and then decide.  But...if she sends it to me...unless it's super simple...I'll tell her to pay in advance.

How can intelligent people like us compete with H&R?????

• Like 1

As it turns out....I don't know where her statement came from.  The "$100 bucks" probably meant he paid H&R $100.

The difference between MFS and MFJ was only about $500 federal.  DH had lots of withholding...so he only owed about $500.  Jointly...they owed about $7500 because she had "next to nothing withheld".   So...DH had been carrying her all these years.

• Like 1