ATX Community

Home office issue

Margaret CPA in OH

Client had home office for convenience of employer. Employer ran business into the ground and stopped paying client in late 2012 but paid for his health insurance. Client was below filing requirement for 2013 so didn't file.

For 2014 he withdrew from IRA to survive. What to do about lingering home office in fixed assets? Dispose on 4797 as business no longer exists? Doesn't he have to determine recaptured depreciation when he sell his house or is that now going to show up on 4797? This would be a good year as his income is still below the filing requirement but he gets back the withheld tax.

And the weird ones continue...

Transfer it to Personal use and print out all depreciation sheets and put it with his copies. If your computer dies, (which I hope NOT, but you never know) he will have the documents he will need with he settles the house by sale or inheritance. Am I too negative today?

I would also choose to convert it to personal use.  I think, but not entirely sure on this, but I think converting to personal use won't trigger the depreciation recapture until the home is sold.  That would be my choice as well because that is what has happened.   If you change the business use to that .001 as cbslee suggested, that would trigger the recapture because the business use fell below 50%.