ATX Community

IRS did not receive 1095-A?

Janitor Bob

Client's refund has been delayed 2 months.  Finally received letter from IRS stating that refund is delayed because they did not have the 1095-A and to send a copy to substantiate the 8962.  What?!  In what bizarre world would the IRS need to come to the client for the 1095-A?  should they not have that just like they have the taxpayer's W-2 and 1099?

Client should have had her refund in mid February...now IRS letter states with another 8 weeks.

ridiculous

The 1095-A is from the INSURANCE Marketplace.  This is the part of this story that really chaps my backside.  We have been given the task (imposed on us whether we like it or not) of policing their INSURANCE law.

This is why I have increased ALL my clients fees with a separate line on the invoice marked "Affordable Care Act Surcharge." 

• Like 2

I currently have a client who has yet to receive any 1095-A from the market place. She has called numerous times, and they say a copy will be mailed. Still waiting. Last week, I had the client come in and we contacted the marketplace together.  Got the same canned response from the CSR - so, I requested a supervisor. The supervisor could tell me what her premiums were, how much she paid, and the subsidy amount, BUT he stated that a 1095-A was not available for her account yet. When prodded, he admitted that the unavailable 1095-A's were a known issue. And he could not give me an estimated fix time.

So, I have placed my client on extension.

This ACA is a clusterf***.

• Like 2

I currently have a client who has yet to receive any 1095-A from the market place. She has called numerous times, and they say a copy will be mailed. Still waiting. Last week, I had the client come in and we contacted the marketplace together.  Got the same canned response from the CSR - so, I requested a supervisor. The supervisor could tell me what her premiums were, how much she paid, and the subsidy amount, BUT he stated that a 1095-A was not available for her account yet. When prodded, he admitted that the unavailable 1095-A's were a known issue. And he could not give me an estimated fix time.

So, I have placed my client on extension.

This ACA is a clusterf***.

If your client doesn't receive it, you do have all of the information available from other sources.  The premiums are from the insurance co and their bills. The ones I've seen also show the premium assistance as a reduction to the amount the client actually paid.  You can easily find the SLCSP within a minute or two. 

It's not rocket science.  All of the figures needed are easily ascertainable if the 1095-A is never issued.

• Like 1

Yes, I have already mocked up a fake 1095-A, but we decided to hold off on filing.  We didn't want the IRS to be confused and cause a big processing debacle. As Janitor Bob stated, the IRS is looking and comparing - so if the marketplace doesn't have her form ready, then the IRS will not have the form, and then letters will begin flowing.  My client is a basket case over this - AND she has to pay back ALL the subsidy, to the tune of nearly $2000.

I found this last night:

"Q8. I purchased qualifying Marketplace coverage, and advance payments of the premium tax credit were made to an insurance provider on my behalf.  I have not received a Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, and have not yet filed my income tax return.  Should I wait to file my return until I receive a Form 1095-A?

A8. If you have not yet filed your income tax return, you should file Form 4868 (request for an automatic extension) by April 15.  Then, once you receive your Form 1095-A, you should file your tax return using the information from the form. Please note that if you file a Form 4868, you have an extended time to file, but not an extension to pay any tax you owe. Form 4868 provides further information. Form 4868 is available on IRS.gov, through tax software or from a tax professional.  Of course, if you receive your Form 1095-A before April 15 and are able to file using the form, you are encouraged to do so."

http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Questions-and-Answers-Incorrect-Forms-1095A-and-the-Premium-Tax-Credit

:wacko:

• Like 1